Backers Only (for now): Localization Testing

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, January 17, 2013.

1. baryon

baryon Active Member

You allready answered your questions:google translate wrote it. garat mentioned they did a "test run" with google translate.
    GetLocalisation also seems to try to translate these strings automatically based on translations made before.
  2. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Yah, anything entered by "mscattergood" is me. :) Those were all Google Translate, as my last German class was 20 years ago.

Ich spreche ambissien Deutsch, aber sehr schlect. (not even sure I spell half of those correctly, and I'm sure my grammar has gone to hell. ;-)
  3. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

this explains some things :p
  4. terrormortis

terrormortis Member

Vorbestellen für ist leider meinem Dialekt entsprungen ;)

I should reread my entries XD
    anyways if you comment on translations everyone who contributed gets an email so you can post errors there.
    Last edited: January 17, 2013
  5. baryon

baryon Active Member

Over at getlocalization i'm a grammar nazi, but this time i'll let you pass :p
    this bothers me, too. too lazy to write the same sentence several times :D

EDIT:
    @terrormortis

I notice ... got in the last hour the same amount of mails than I usually receive in a week :D
  6. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

Spanish moved to Validation.

What was strange was the fact so many of the entries were duplicates...
  7. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

I love this community :)
  8. garat

It's how the tools works. If the same string appears more than once, it still appears multiple times. Down in middle section where previous translations appear, where you can vote up existing translations, there is also a button that allows me to quickly copy in "related strings" when the system recognizes that it's similar or identical.

Like I said.. it's not perfect, but it's pretty good. One of the better localization management tools I've ever worked with. Usually, we're stuck with Excel spreadsheets. :)
  9. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

Yes, i noticed the little copy related text button (blue pencil). I was just worried at first it wasn't saving my entries. Or having the strangest case of dejavu :p
  10. felipec

felipec Active Member

This tool is very good indeed. I've worked with another translation manager tool called Catalyst. It was very good also but wasen't web based, so this crowd work wasn't possible.
  11. daviddes

daviddes New Member

Attempting Japanese.

I know this is only for backers, but can I ask coworkers for opinions? (Live in Japan)
  12. garat

David, totally fine. :) I posted it here because it's a test. Once we start localizing "real strings", as in stuff for the game, website, etc, then it will be open to everyone anyway. I just wanted to keep the audience smaller for the moment til I worked out all the kinks in the system with all your kind and generous help!

So please, ask co-workers, and I'd LOVE to see a Japanese translation going forward. The more languages the better, frankly.
  13. d3nn05

d3nn05 Member

Swedish moved to validation :)
  14. garat

You all really amaze me, btw. Incredible. I can't wait till we start getting real, long lasting stuff like game strings, etc posted up there.
  15. tutur14

tutur14 New Member

Well I devoted myself doing a french translation, but it's lacking SO MUCH of context :?

Problem is that it's hard to translate really small sentences in french without destroying all their meaning, and for that you need a really strong context...

French is a hard language to translate in I think, that's why I sometimes prefer to play with the original english version of a game... At least you keep the meaning of it and it's less complicated :roll:

But I surely understand that some people don't understand english and we need to think of them :)
  16. syox

syox Member

Thought blue pencil is edit.... o_O
  17. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

I am seriously resisting the urge to start translating it into LolCatz. I would do another language if I knew one tho! French perhaps.. although my french is 10 years old now .
  18. Klappadur

Klappadur New Member

Just registered up there. Some localizations of AAA-titles are a pain in my eyes, I like the possibility to help in this case.
  19. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

I just checked again the german translations and....

if you want to use them for ads, only 80% of them are "good" german, the others would make the reader laugh, or not understand.

For example:
    Command Robots To Destroy - Befehle Robotern zu zerstören

Its the correct translation, but it sounds so weird in german. noone would say that on an advert. I dont know how you can avoid such things, maybe the translators need to do more rephrasing? its just a feeling^^
  20. eface60

eface60 New Member

I think the Dutch translations have the same issue as the German one. Although by replacing the words and grammar, even though the translation is correct, it's not a sentence as it would be used by the native langague.

For example
    "Pre-order now, get Theta Commander" - "Pre-Order nu, ontvang de Theta Commander" by olimm, is 100% correctly translated.

However, within dutch language this is a bit of a strange sentence. Although it's not wrong, replacing the comma with "en" (dutch for "and"), would make it a much more fluent dutch sentence.

Should translations be made as strict as possible, because of possible placing/formatting restrictions, or should the focus be more on getting it as most native sounding as possible?