For Backers Only: Scale Tests - Renders

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, January 15, 2013.

1. mortiferusrosa

mortiferusrosa Member

Super excited.
  2. poncegabriel

poncegabriel New Member

Very nice keep up the good work. I don't have much of a opinion so far the units/commanders look very interesting can't wait to look more into towards the unit, pathing structures, and AI further in the future.
  3. mrknowie

mrknowie Member

Okay, I'm thoroughly impressed.

Any chance the puny humans will be left in as a random planet feature so our giant robots have some thing to keep their toe-joints greased? I'm also picturing large cities to collateral-up, or has that been done to death (at least to Tokyo)?

Anyway, wouldn't want to invoke the wrath of Godzilla, or Gamera (friend to all children).
  4. Angel9001

Angel9001 New Member

Nice looking renders there... :)
  5. wemlock

wemlock Member

wow the scale on these !
    this game is going to be epic!
  6. zachb

zachb Member

In the general forums people brought up some good points about T3 artillery being a game ender. Which is true, but building facing could be used for all kinds of turrets.

I wouldn't mind seeing some of the late game expensive buildings getting a bit of a price discount because they only work in one direction.
  7. zeitgeber

zeitgeber New Member

Looks great. Thanks for putting this up, very exciting : D
  8. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Those bots in the middle are Commanders? Heck ya! I cant wait to use the one in the middle :3

Better yet, I cant wait to make a mod for them :3
  9. lynxnz

lynxnz Member

love it, thanks for this update. Very cool. :geek:
  10. embreus

embreus New Member

I could see how directional restriction for turrets would have a greater impact in a game like this (planetary battles) than, say, supcom (rectangular maps).

Basically, on a rectangular map, the enemy's base is in a certain direction, and that's the direction the enemy units will come from.

On a planet however, assuming the bases are placed on opposite sides, the enemy is in every direction, rather than just one. I could imagine how limiting arc of fire for certain turrets would make them basically useless, seeing that it is no loss for an enemy to pick another route.

Anyway, testing would tell. It's an intereresting idea! Perhaps it should have a thread on it's own.
  11. iljamarkov

iljamarkov New Member

It's so beautiful it makes you cry.
  12. turpiini

turpiini Member

Well not completely useless I think, it is also important to be able to make the enemy come from the direction you prefer, a devastating cannon covering one direction would do the trick quite well, methinks, you know, creating an area denial of a kind.
  13. cptbritish

cptbritish Member

The heavy artillery I could see still working with a limited arc, but things like point defense and anti air? Could see it been more a nuisance, than a feature.

Still I have an open mind.
  14. neroangelo

neroangelo New Member

Woo pretty good scale test :eek: , and there wiil be some scale test for planet and other too ?
  15. cptbritish

cptbritish Member

That is a very good point, obviously Gas Giants won't have the same relative size to a Rock planet as irl. Although I could see the relative size of Neptune to Earth being decent enough.

http://www.physics.uci.edu/~observat/Ph ... cales.html

Anyway i'm going to be looking forward to the middle ground they've settled on.
  16. asgo

asgo Member

perhaps it's used in the other direction.
    For me, it looks like a ski jumping ramp.
    No one said, robots can't enjoy winter sports. ;)
  17. felipec

felipec Active Member

Awesome work. It took me some time to spot the missile =)
    Can we expect bigger units than the commanders?
  18. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

Thats interesting how big gas giants will be. If planets are already big etc. gas giants're going to be...well... giant :D
  19. Hydrofoil

Hydrofoil Member

I like the thought of just having a map with a Gas giant and 20+ moons of different sides! Its a different take on the classic RTS Island hopping Maps!

Roanoke Islands (SCFA map) but with moons instead!
  20. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

As far as I understand it will be possible to scale planets however we wish in the editor.
    So it might very well be possible to create a gas moon around a super large rocky planet.
    Realistic or not.