For Backers Only: Livestream Jan 10th 2013 Images

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, January 11, 2013.

1. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

He's talking about the 15 minutes of the stream, where nothing was being played except for replays of the visualization video... has nothing to do with the length of the stream.
  2. acey195

acey195 Member

In that case, fair enough,
    though I still see why they did keep it, they need to check if the stream is working and all before starting. 15 minutes may be a bit long for that indeed.

However when they got it in the live stream, to get it out of the video for the archive version, they would need to edit it, re-render it, which would delay the archived version to be posted by much more than 15 minutes.

Also, if you watch other streams, like League of Legends tournament streams, you also get a lot of filler beforehand (commercials, things about LoL itself)

So all in all, I say it is understandable and you can also just skip the "empty" part :p
  3. lophiaspis

lophiaspis Member

:shock: Holy ****, I was expecting decent art, but this is already one of the best looking RTS ever. Amazing talent at work. So I guess you don't need 200 asset monkeys to get good graphics, who knew.
  4. Hydrofoil

Hydrofoil Member

what makes this even more impressive is that all that they have shown us so far is actually pretty low poly count stuff! I hope they dont take down the detail anymore like they said they might i think the desert biome looks cracking as it stands now!
  5. nightnord

nightnord New Member

Crack is high-poly actually :D
  6. Hydrofoil

Hydrofoil Member

lol fair enough xD but we can all agree that the terrain looks magnificent and even with the basic lighting they have implemented for it looks better than even C&C3 (in my opinion atleast)

Also makes me nostalgic for TA as well :p
  7. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Regarding this whole conversation. We announced it approximately 15 minutes early (1PM local time) via twitter, facebook, etc. We had the stream "live" about 10 to 15 mintues before that for sound checks, levels, prepping backdrops, etc. We started the live stream at about 1:03PM.

As for the uploads, the twitch.tv guys fixed our upload tools so when we uploaded them after the livestream, both the hour long and the 15 minute split uploads had the leading time removed - there was maybe 10 to 15 seconds of intro space on the YouTube upload. The last one we uploaded at the end of November didn't get trimmed because the tool was either down or broken that day.

What is the concern? Was there an archive with a 15 minute lead time, or was there frustration that we started the live stream 3 minutes after our start time (1:03 instead of 1:00)? Just confused, and trying to make sure there's not a problem I'm missing somehow. :)
  8. yinwaru

yinwaru New Member

Wow, these look great. This is exactly how I would've imagined the final game looking, if you guys can hit this concept it'd be perfect.
  9. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Yup, the archive on the twitch.tv site itself still has the 15min lead in time.

http://ja.twitch.tv/uberchannel/b/355803747

Not a biggie and I don't even know if you can remove it there easily.
  10. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Nope, the primary archive can't be edited. Only the uploads.

At least, not that I've found so far. :)
  11. grayfox

grayfox Active Member

Question about the terrain.

Plans for aeriel unit locations? Sniper types using jet-packs to take plateau positions, or simply having cover bonus against those shooting up into a plateau.

Does the rift in the ground act as a blockade or terrain hazard? Ground units would go around it whereas aerial units (or pack equipped units) fly over it. Possibility of explosive force / knockback sending ground units into the rift?
  12. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

Geez, I love the art concepts and Sorian's AI ideas! It's amazing that this terrain will all be generated and might even change during a match. If you can get PA to look similar to the concepts I'll be very happy. And I'm looking forward to an AI that doesn't overkill the first enemy unit in range with 100 shells/missiles!
  13. felipec

felipec Active Member

I'm loving how you've done such low poly rocks but added a lot of great details using normals. Truly amazing.
    Question: Are the rocks on the ground models or also normals?
  14. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

I think they said some of them are props (models with their own 3D mesh, *real* geometry) and some are part of the ground mesh (normals). And I think I remember hearing something about displacement textures. If I'm not mistaken those are textures but they can create real geometry unlike normal maps. So a bit of everything.
  15. Spooky

Spooky Member

Those concepts look so gorgeous :cool:. Can't wait to see how similar it will be then in the actual engine/game :).
  16. rphilman1

rphilman1 New Member

Agreed. I love building artillery and anti-air on plateaus.

Do you know if elevation will affect range?
  17. mortiferusrosa

mortiferusrosa Member

I asked the same question earlier in the thread. Neutrino said that arty will be effected by elevation but he doesnt know yet to the extent it will be.
  18. rphilman1

rphilman1 New Member

Okay great. Thanks.
  19. felipec

felipec Active Member

Got it! Thank you!
  20. Yourtime

Yourtime Member

the pics just got out to the facebook page by uber, so we can close this thread now?