New (Game) from the TA(and Co.) Developers

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by supremevoid, December 20, 2012.

1. nightnord

nightnord New Member

Just Another Elf Game™, as it seems.
  2. qwerty3w

qwerty3w Active Member

Elves doesn't fit into this game's atmosphere, that pic seems pretty brutal to me.
  3. gnug215

gnug215 New Member

I agree. SupCom improved on TA in many ways.

And yet, there was something "off" about SupCom, compared to TA. I've always had a problem pinpointing it exactly.

Although I have a few (subjective) suggestions:

I suppose SupCom felt a little too "clean", if you know what I mean. Very polished, but also kind of soul-less.

Also, the maps in SupCom just weren't as... nice and colorful as in TA. Some of the maps in SupCom made me downright depressed, with their dreary brown and gray nuances.

The economy system was simplified compared to TA, both in terms of the resource gathering, factory assisting and reclaiming of metal. Many of the old hardcore TA'ers I talked to felt this was a step back - I certainly did, too - but on the other hand, I got the impression that many others preferred SupCom's economy model.

But yeah, it was certainly not a bad game in any way, so GPG does know how to make quality games (Dungeon Siege, too.)

Now SupCom2 was a total letdown. So much so that I don't even remember now what was wrong with it.

We'll see what they come up with this time. :)
  4. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

I think you got it backwards. With regards to economy, Supcom had just about everything TA did and then some. Perhaps a little too much, as it tended to intimidate new players.
    The only real area Supcom didn't work as well as TA was in the unit variety. But since the strategic model was so vastly improved, this didn't matter so much. Supcom 2 was in a good position to take the excellent system of Supcom and add in that variety, but sadly it went in a different direction. So now we have PA.
  5. nightnord

nightnord New Member

Brutal elves? It's definitely a fantasy game, 99% sure.
  6. gnug215

gnug215 New Member

I'm sorry, but I disagree.

TA had Solars, winds, tidals, Geo's and the 3 types of Fusion generators; two metal extractors (although sadly, the advanced one wasn't worth it); and then it had the three metal makers. (As a somewhat quirky addition, you could hoard con-bots, that actually had a minor surplus production going when they were idle.)
    This gave you an ability to macro- and micromanage (for better or worse) your economy like no tomorrow. This was not the case in SupCom, where you mostly just had to decide when to upgrade your metal extractors.

Metal reclamation was also much more prevalent in TA, and where SupCom had you gaining metal as you were reclaiming, just giving you a larger income temporarily, the system in TA had you gaining the entire reclaimable quantity at once, which meant juggling with storages.
    This also meant that the Urban maps, which usually had wreckage littered all over the place, could be played in a radically different manner from other maps, doing without the metal extractors all together.

In TA, you could actually get away with turtling. Granted, it was hard, but in SupCom turtling became nearly impossible.

I think GPG felt that the economy system in TA was too management-heavy, and decided to automate/simplify it, which they did pretty well - too well if you ask me.

I agree on the unit variety thing. And while TA had more units that were useless than SupCom had, there was still a certain charm to all those units in TA.
  7. doud

doud Well-Known Member

So why not K&C ??????
    Maybe not K&C, But K&C prototype being pretty well working (as far as i remember last video blogs)
  8. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

Well played sir, well played.
  9. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

I never played TA online so I can't argue with a lot of what you're saying, but turtling easier in TA than FA? FA has massive great big shields that can render massed experimentals worthless! In fact it can get to the point (albeit on turtle-friendly maps) that the only thing that can get through is multiple T3 artillery.

I know people equate the Big Bertha with the T3 arty, but the T3 arty is several orders of magnitude more powerful, much longer range and much more expensive.
  10. carbonpollution

carbonpollution New Member

Ok come on if the creators of Supcom,do siege ect. then the game surely must be good :lol:
  11. RaTcHeT302

RaTcHeT302 Guest

I bet it's another MOBA game.
  12. feyder

feyder Member

As much as I want Demigod2 I hope not, Even if GPG could make it amazing without Stardocks messups the market is still way over saturated with MOBA's.
  13. gnug215

gnug215 New Member

Both games have powerful end-game strategies that will usually take out the most hard-shelled turtle, but you will, in my experience, be severely more screwed in early, mid and late game if you turtled in SupCom. And this is because of the economy.

In particular the cheap power and Metal Maker combos in TA, and the wreckage system, made turtling economically viable.
    It wasn't easy, by any stretch of the imagination, but it was doable. But it was also pretty map dependent. Having just one or two (out of 5) of the islands on perhaps the most played (Gods of War) TA map was NOT a surefire loss. In fact, settling for one or two islands could be part of various different strategies that won many games.
    Also the classic Coast to Coast map, you could opt out of going sea (a must in choices in strategy for years before Gnug115 came along... he loved to turtle), and just turtle up on land instead.

Now granted, I played TA for a LOT longer (at least 5 years all in all) than I did SupCom, and I'm sure strategies have evolved since, but turtling was in fact a viable strategy on several TA maps.

And yes, the T3 arty was more powerful than the Bertha, but the Bertha was often the key to victory in TA - both for the turtle and the... non-turtle.
    The two map scenarios I mention above often had the turtle depending on the Bertha to win the game.
  14. halosas

halosas Member

The game you are waiting for has just under 2 hours to go and it is called "wildman"

The Supreme Commander studio is seeking funding for an action RPG/RTS hybrid called Wildman, which sees players take control of a caveman-esque "wildman" (or woman) pushing to dominate an environment ripe with evolving technology and culture.
  15. feyder

feyder Member

Email 1 Hour 20 before countdown was finished and the links are currently broken.

"The Final Countdown...

... has ended, and we're ready to announce our next game! And you get the first preview, right now, in this very newsletter.

Be the first to know about WILDMAN. Take advantage of this once-in-a-lifetime chance to shape a game's development from its earliest days.

Visit http://www.wildmangame.com for more details. Right now. Go!

And tell your friends. Because sharing is caring."
  16. Spooky

Spooky Member

Server not found -_-

Does the domain work for anyone yet? (Could be that the DNS of each ISP is not updated yet.)

Well but it's an Action RPG, so I am not that interested in it anyway ;)
  17. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

i am not so thrilled as its single player only. I will stay with PA this time :p
  18. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

It's going to be single player only?

My hope is being restored!
  19. thefreemon

thefreemon Member

20. vollatze

vollatze New Member