Alpha?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Moranic, January 12, 2013.

1. Moranic

Moranic Member

So... as I am anxious to actually get my hands on the game, I wonder when the alpha will be released. I don't want to rush the devs of course, they have to do their jobs right instead of rushed. But I wonder: In what month would the alpha come out? I think they once said January, but I'm not sure. I just hope they don't rush it.
  2. crystaline109

crystaline109 Member

i'd be really suprised if we see alpha anytime before mid feb-early march.

Uber has not released a single picture using the in game engine. That hints to me that we are still several weeks from being able to actually play something in the most rudimentary sense...

but i'm no game developer, so i could be completely wrong.
  3. redarrow7216

redarrow7216 Member

I was wondering the exact same things. I remember them saying january as well. They even said they could do it earlier but that, that would affect gameplay too much.
  4. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

Hehe, theres a number of threads that want them to delay the release date (for more time to polish etc) and then theres this thread asking for the alpha xD Gotta love the internets.

On topic: I dont realy know how far they are in the engine code, but considering the live stream and what sorian is working on etc, i assume they still have a way to go until alpha.

Try to be patient. (God its hard, i want the game YESTERDAY!)
  5. thedbp

thedbp Member

they haven't even finished the base thing- the world generator, as I see it they are just trying to fix the issues that their world generator is causing. we haven't seen any actual generation from it and they, as far as I understand, haven't build anything but that and some lobby stuff, database stuff, important things etc.

all we've seen is concept arts of the generator and some units nothing that is actually playable.

I will be really surprised if the alpha is out anytime before late april, and I would say realistically the alpha will be here at may-june.

but this is very normal, I just look forward to the release and to play the alpha + giving feed.

And the stuff that you have made and are planning to make looks amazing guys so this is not a critique :)
  6. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I'll be actually happy if they will start the alpha not before the end of march, just because that's the earliest date I'll have a few weeks full time to dedicate xD

And I think my hope will be fullfilled, from what we have seen so far they are still quite a bit away from a somewhat test-playable experience.

Okay if we can wish for a date in the past, I want it to be 3 weeks ago.
    I would have hundreds of hours PA ingame by now xD
  7. lynxnz

lynxnz Member

There is talk in the forum from other users about it not being released until finished etc. But from what i've read (and hopefully understood) from the devs there is more of a focus to get us involved sooner to help roadmap changes and features that should also be included.

So sooner the alpha the better, hard to do this if you wait for "polished" alpha. usual story alpha is not finished game...

... though i have to admit i'm also quite excited to see something :mrgreen:
  8. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

They said they MIGHT have a PLAYABLE BUILD by the end of the year. This is not the same as an alpha, but people seemed to take it as such. Honestly, I'm thinking they'll have a playable build by March and an alpha around June, considering all that's left to do.

In the meantime, I can play FA and Zero-K to satisfy my need.
  9. ubersoldier501

ubersoldier501 Member

I wouldn't agree that an alpha would be ready by June, I'd be more comfortable saying at absolute earliest, March, but more likely April. From what I've gathered, the devs seem pretty optimistic that they can hit their July release. (Unless I missed a thread stating otherwise :p) But if a "polished" alpha - if an alpha can even be called that - was released in June, that would only leave them a month or so to go through both alpha and beta stages and still hit the release date, and I just don't think that would happen in that small of a time frame.

But then again, I'm assuming they will hit the release date, give or take a week or course, since it's too early to say whether they will or not. However, if we were to all agree that the current release date isn't possible (for what ever reasons), and it's more realistically to be a nice polished release around say, August or September, then throw my αβ theory out the window. :p

But for the time being, I personally still believe they can hit the release they have set.
  10. thedbp

thedbp Member

well I did say that it was around that I counted the alpha to be ready at earliest. and they didn't really talk about the summer release too recently. a lot of games have a day on when which they're scheduled to come out but then it's pushed some months later.

see brink, many of the zelda games, and such.
  11. xfercns

xfercns New Member

So much speculation lol for what? It will be ready when they are ready for a release of the Alpha. If its March, cool if its June, cool and remember its a ALPHA. I can see a lot of whining on the forums happening anyway because people think what they see is gospel or that an Alpha for some reason should be a fully working Game. Expect bugs left and right. Expect not to be able to log in for one or 2 days while they sort out a problem. It can be messy, but it's exciting to be a part of and most of all remember to log all faults that you find, including things leading up the fault etc (I work in a feed back job, if crews doesn't report faults they don't get fixed and we end up with shitty crews... its their own faults but they don't learn). So be a man and take the 5-10mins to report a fault if they give you the means to do so. I'm hoping they will set-up a page (either ingame or through the website) that will allow you to document what you've found. Maybe even allow you to log screen shots etc (pictures paint more then a thousand words - take my word for it. I've found too often people that don't know how something works {just know how to use it} can't explain it and make an easy job hard).

- Uber / Admins - If we're connecting to your servers to play the Aplah/Beta maybe put a clock in game that will allow people to time stamp their fault so that you can look through the logs and see what's broken? Just a thought, it's something that's helped us out more times that not.

Regarding the release date; garatnw? I think says in one of his posts it would be between July - September... This gives them a little time to finish things off if needed.

Xfer
  12. backdoornobaby

backdoornobaby New Member

Well let's see... if Alpha comes in late March or early April, that's a bummer. I'll have midterms.
    If Alpha comes in late May or early June... WTF - I've got Finals.

I guess I'm a bit SOL either way, but it's alpha. I'm excited to check it out even though I might not be able to tinker with it right away, it will be great to see some of what's to come.

But again, it's alpha. I would be fine with late June. More time to get a few things together for a "playable" alpha release.