Question: Gunner vs. Assassin

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by Col_Jessep, December 20, 2010.

1. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

One thing that baffles me is that some Assassins can one-stab me with their grapple while others can't. There are usually at least two Assassins on the opposing team and I usually can avoid being killed by one of them using gold armor. However, some players just insta-kill me with one grapple although I was on full health. How? I thought gold armor was supposed to make that impossible. What am I missing?

I'm usually slow on upgrading grapple and deploy since I don't use them very often. I max out my passive asap, followed by slam.
  2. Ferocity

Ferocity New Member

Back Grapples are one hit kill on everyone except for tanks with some armor endorcement.
    And Tanks also ugrades their max health by their passive skill.

Face your fear Jessep, for its when you face your fear, fear is not freigtening anymore.
  3. Col_Jessep

Well, in that case I might as well go for more damage output in my build. And I absolutely hate bunny hopping but what else can you do... :(
  4. Ferocity

Ferocity New Member

Deploy? :p

Nah you have to bunny jump, but its not that cheap trick. The assassins just need to learn to time their grapples.
  5. GaFF

GaFF New Member

Its still worth using an armor endorsement because if you don't a front grapple is still an instant kill.
  6. Ferocity

Ferocity New Member

Armor endorcement is very important as gunner as you will be the center of attention.

But when people become less lone wolf and start co-operating, Assassins won't be much of a problem as a overhealed gunner won't go down on the first back grapple. Though the support will :lol:

Keep your healer alive and your healer will keep you alive.
    TF2 basics.
  7. rUprofessional24

rUprofessional24 New Member

I play both Gunner and Assassin and I can't remember ever one-shotting a gunner with a front grapple as an Assassin. I also have been front grappled (without an armor endorsement) as Gunner and I survive every time as long as I started with full health. As gunner, your best chance is to keep on the move and look for the shimmer of their cloak. If you manage to find them first, they're toast.

Food for thought.
  8. Col_Jessep

Unfortunately there are too few Supports and too many Assassins. Tried to get a grip on Assassin myself to understand the tactics better but I don't think we will become close friends any time soon - despite what my sig says...

Well, at least I get the occasional ring out with my Gunner when the Assassin fails to kill me. That's worth all the trouble, watching her fly over the edge! :lol:

Thanks for the tips guys!
  9. Mastah

Mastah New Member

Actually I love bunny hopping now, since it's way easier to jump and shoot with the keyboard + mouse combo than with a 360 pad. When I suspect an assassin is around, I'll bunny hop like crazy and if she tries a back grapple my jetpack will set her on fire, making it even easier to shoot / slam her :D
  10. GaFF

GaFF New Member

A good assassin will always jump after failing to kill a gunner :)
  11. Snappyguy

Snappyguy New Member

Gold health endorsements do protect other classes than tank and gunner.
  12. Torinir

Torinir New Member

Too bad that there's not many good 'sins.
  13. FriedrichPsitalon

FriedrichPsitalon New Member

Truth: I don't know what the phenomenon is that makes new players want to take the most fragile, team-useless class, but every time I reset my dedicated server, I stare hard at the "max assassin" number before reminding myself that people need to learn their own lessons.
  14. Intricasm

Intricasm New Member

I ran into you the other day, you were one of 3 assassins, and the only one who could kill me on my Gunner. (which isn't saying much.. I realllllly suck when it comes to hitting the right keys on PC. I keep accidentally deploying and such) Jumped over almost every slam I used. Luckily I had a level 3 Grapple to hit you with once or twice.

Also, Jessep, A gold armor Gunner will survive a back grapple so long as the Assassin does not have a Katana.
  15. Hako

Hako New Member

The slam is so useful as a gunner. If there's assassins on the enemy team I usually hug the open edges and I can often ring-out the assassin before she even gets a grapple on me. If she gets a front grapple, grapple her back then do the slam or shoot her and then hide a bit. You often won't have to worry about getting damaged again since more assassins are alone.
  16. Col_Jessep

Yes, but a lot of them get that upgrade really early. I don't wait around for my dual miniguns either. But it's good to know, thx!

Sometimes I just slam when I suspect a Sin close by. It's hilarious if you are correct. It can be pretty deadly if you are wrong though.
  17. Gturtle

Gturtle New Member

You're wrong here. Assassins are the best lane pushers, and last I checked pushing a lane is the only way to get the money ball's shields down which is the only way to damage the money ball in regulation.

The fact that the assassins you play with don't appear to be helping your team means either you're bad and don't understand how you win matches, or they're bad and don't understand what they should be doing.
  18. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

I had a lot of trouble with assassins when I played gunner on 360, but on PC they don't bother me at all. I can jump and shoot all the time, and my general awareness is much higher on PC
  19. Gturtle

Gturtle New Member

I am real hate you when I'm playing assassin and you're hopping around, making me look like somebody who just walked on the stage for amateur hour.
  20. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

I play assassin too, and I find that shurikens are one of the best ways of dealing with gunners. They're big targets, and if they're shooting they won't be moving fast enough to avoid them. Depending on endorsements, shurikens can outdamage the minigun at medium-long range