For Backers Only: Livestream Jan 10th 2013 Images

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, January 11, 2013.

1. arkounay

arkounay New Member

It's really beautiful, I hope the final game's design will be close to this
  2. FlandersNed

FlandersNed Member

This is looking really, really good. I can't imagine what you have in store for the other biomes, but I'm sure they will be just as fantastic.
  3. omegabolt

omegabolt New Member

Looks fantastic IMO, can't wait to see how this can all be manipulated ingame especially if planets can smash together and form some kind of new freak planet. If this is the case I wonder how two different terrain sets merge? Guess you could have a mixture of machine and desert planets for example... would be sweet. Can't wait to see some lava as well. :D
  4. torrasque

torrasque Active Member

That look totally fantastic! I hope you will be able to get a close as possible.
  5. baryon

baryon Active Member

i really like that.
    the position of the radar tower makes me wonder, if this affects its range/view. as far as i remember in SC/FA this wasn't the case, but Zero-K had this feature. i would like to see this in PA, too. would increase the amount of tactical decisions players have, imho.
  6. Klappadur

Klappadur New Member

These pictures look fantastic. I can't wait for some pics from the lava planats.
  7. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

a question that I have, when I look at those concepts:

Will the final game only have plateaus like we can see on the screens or will it also be possible to have slopes and mountains you can go up with your army like in SCFA?
  8. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

nice images, they'll become my wallpaper for sure :)
  9. Aeydon

Aeydon New Member

Great concept design and a great wallpaper. Cheers!
  10. jallen9000

jallen9000 New Member

These do look fantastic but at the risk of sounding negative I really liked the art style of the original video pitch. Hopefully the final product will managed to encapsulate both styles.
  11. roadrunnner

roadrunnner New Member

That's really awesome. It looks way better than the style of the first video. Hope you keep this, wouldn't make it more cartoonish.
    Great work guys!
  12. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

Honestly, the trailer art style was pretty bland and haphazard in comparison to the latest results. (Although the terrain styles are different, so it's really not a proper comparison.)
    The idea of using pastels and lower contrast colors for the terrain, and using more vibrant, higher saturation colors for units is a very good one, as it will increase unit visibility and reduce the resulting "screen full of dots" effect that put so many people off to Supcom. As was said in the video, the detail will require tweaking in order to make sure this style is effective. Also, I like how easily the terrain heights are conveyed by the shadows and dark outlines. This will make height differentiation a lot easier, especially from zoomed-out, top-down viewpoints.
  13. wemlock

wemlock Member

thanks they look awesome.

and a nice new desktop now ! :D
  14. furyofthestars

furyofthestars New Member

Agreed. Would love for terrain/height to affect ranges. And have ranges being a little bit more realistic (hemisphere, rather than cylindrical).
  15. furyofthestars

furyofthestars New Member

If it has to be either or, I'd rather have the higher res.

But I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to have the "low res" settings in game make it look like the concept vid.
  16. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

I like this art direction more than the old Spore art direction.
  17. coreta

coreta Member

18. comham

comham Active Member

Looking good!
  19. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

You can think of concepts (and game design, and technical design) like a battle plan: No battle plan survives contact with the enemy (implementation). :)

Usually it's pretty close and you can almost always see a lot of the concept in the final product, but it is, usually, still different.

Glad you all are enjoying the releases so far. I haven't seen links all over Kotaku, IGN and Twitter yet, so thanks for that. ;)
  20. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Yes there will also be slopes and mountains. The plateaus are just an example although they are theoretically cool for building artillery etc on.