Dedicated server on windows 2003?

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by jeeringsole, December 20, 2010.

1. jeeringsole

jeeringsole New Member

I'm attempting to run a dedicated server on one of my dedicated boxes that I run in a data center in Dallas, TX for my community group evlgaming.com

Server Specs:
    Windows 2k3 x64 standard
    Dual core Xeon 2.9ghz processor
    2gb ram
    200gb HDD

All of my ports are opened according to my host. If I use the OPEN command in the console (which allows you to specify an IP address to connect to a server) The server console shows that a player has joined, and then says the join was successful. However on the client end the load screen runs, and never ends until you manually end the process. This has happened to many people, and there are no errors in the console window.

I tried running a server at home, on my windows 7 x64 system, and everything runs fine, in fact many people have played on evlgaming.com which is what I've been hosting from home.

The exact same command line works fine on Windows 7 x64 but not on my server. Any Ideas?

FIREWALL had exceptions for the game, and I even tried running with firewall disabled.
    Steam is running etc.
  2. dustoff

dustoff New Member

Read around many are having this same problem , nothing has been fixed yet .
  3. jeeringsole

jeeringsole New Member

Yes, but not with Windows 7 x64 >_<
  4. dustoff

dustoff New Member

Ive Tried running on my home system windows 7 64 bit . Does not work

Tried running on my server boxes all running server 2008 64 bit .I get the same thing .

All ports are open and even disabled the firewall for a bit and still get that same problem.

Reinstalled countless time in case I did not get the patch .

The only thing I can think of is that the patch did not make its way through all of steams servers. I tried two of my server boxes both located in Dallas but no go. I am going to see if the one in Chicago will pick up the patch.

Strange that others have no problems which leads me to belive its steam
  5. faits

faits New Member

If you don't have any luck with that, maybe try changing your download location to a server that is known to have the update. For example, I'm in seattle and have my steam set to download from seattle, so I can verify it has the patch.
  6. dustoff

dustoff New Member

I did not see that city on the list.
  7. dustoff

dustoff New Member

Thats the problem I ran the server from my Chibox and it works
  8. jeeringsole

jeeringsole New Member

I think I got the patch, as it did update today, got it form one of the Dallas servers.
  9. dustoff

dustoff New Member

Ok here is where it gets wierd . I can host it on my Chi box but wont show up in the game lobby , can type open and join fine. Firewall is off and everything .

hosting from by dallas box i can see the server but cant join
  10. silience

silience New Member

Router configured with the proper port forwarding? I had to do that to get mine to work.
  11. dustoff

dustoff New Member

no router. its a dedicated box sitting in a data center , no need to forward ports .
  12. jeeringsole

jeeringsole New Member

Same for me as well, we're talking about hosted servers, that are in a data center. Yes behind switches no doubt but they don't need port forwarding. Thats not how things work.
  13. dustoff

dustoff New Member

Yep .

First box I tried I still get the lockup but the server shows up ok .

My other two boxes wont list but play just find if you direct connect.

I am going to clean all the installs off the first box to see what gives.

unless it takes a while for the server to list after moving it from ip to ip using the same login account .
  14. the_Monk

the_Monk New Member

Could be something weird with the OS and the Unreal engine?

I remember back when we were hosting servers for Rainbow Six Vegas we had nothing but issues with Server 2003 and XP Pro x64 (which shares similarities with Server 2003). Had to use a 32-bit beta of Server 2008 back in those days to finally be able to host Vegas 1 servers.

Anyway.....just a thought......

by the way, I'm also having the same issue (ie. server shows in the list but first player to join gets stuck in the loading screen which of course causes no one to be able to join).

Running on Windows 7 Pro x64
  15. dustoff

dustoff New Member

Guess In a way I have a private server .

It works but no one can see it unless they open the ip in the game.

or I can have a game show up but not work .

I think now there are problems with windows7 64 bit . fails for me even launching via game.

windows 2008 has problems too .

I did notice you have to use the same steam account that bought the game . I had to buy a second copy just to host.
  16. dustoff

dustoff New Member

just got off a chat with my server provider.

they checked the ports on all three box's and all are routed correctly , not block and can be pinged from a out side network .

Guess there is still a problem but its best we find it now before release.

I know too well problems with betas. I am running beta testing on all three boxes and even though I a give servers for free for testing people complain.