Livestream on January 10th at 1PM PST

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by dukyduke, January 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dukyduke

dukyduke Active Member

Just forwarding the Uber Untertainment tweet in this forum.

It will be about SMNC and PA (of course !)

EDIT: Timezone convert: January 10th at 1PM PST
    (Thank you neumeusis)

EDIT2:
    Link to the video.
    Interesting stuff about PA starts at 0:28 (a little earlier if you want to know the prices winner).
    Last edited: January 10, 2013
  2. nightnord

nightnord New Member

10 January 21:00 GMT, for thus who still know about the world outside America.
  3. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

We're based in Seattle, so was use that as our point of reference. Why do people get so offended that we use our local time zone? I'm actually asking, not at all bent out of shape, but people do that all the time - seem to get mad that we're using the time zone we're based out of, especially on Facebook. Has nothing to do with US centrism, just "us centrism". :)
  4. zordon

zordon Member

Don't worry about nord he'll complain and argue about anything.
  5. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

I still don't understand this. It's like they think Americans have a superiority complex when they use their own timezone.
  6. Neumeusis

Neumeusis Active Member

And for people like me that get easly lost with PST, GMT, +1-1, CET and so on, this website can be used.

Lazy people, click here.

It's really late/early at my place, so contact me if i messed up with something...
  7. acey195

acey195 Member

Yeah another birthday present :D

I really like the streams from both the game's and the development's perspective :)
  8. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I'd love for updates to use that Event Time Announcer, way easier than keeping the 7h difference in mind by myself xD
  9. garat

Back when I worked at a company that had "meetings" as a core part of it's culture, I used that site a lot. I actually do create an event on Facebook, since we have a goodly number of fans there as well, and it does automatically convert the events to the right time based on their location. I'm not keen on using another event management service, but I suppose if there's a ton of demand, I could. Facebook I keep on top of anyway, so it's easy to do it there. :) And probably Google +, which reminds me, I should go make sure there's an event listed there too!
  10. rathik

rathik New Member

thanks for this, i was about to ask what GMT that was.

True that
  11. nightnord

nightnord New Member

I'm complaining not about timezone - I'm fine with that, but about weird time format. I hate remember what the hell all this PM/AM/WHATEVER means. Same with date format - americans are almost only nation who use MM/DD/YYYY format.

Just please use more common formats (at least duplicate them). At least, please provide time as in 24 hour clock.
  12. Veleiro

Veleiro Member

No. Use what youre comfortable with. You cant ask an entire nation to change its ways of life. I'm sick of non americans saying how we're the only country that does this, does that. stop paying attention to american media or stop complaining
  13. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

But not paying attention to American media is thoughtcrime. :(
  14. nightnord

nightnord New Member

Half of this community is non-american. I think Uber may show some respect in duplicating their time/date in more international format. No need to be such egoist. And don't get me started on what other things americans are only nation to do: there are much worth things than using other time/date format.

P.S. It would be also nice to post date/time on forums as well. Not everyone are using Twitter/Facebook/G+/whatever.
  15. garat

When I post date/time, I generally follow the format I used for the last round of tweets/etc:

We'll be doing a LiveStream on January 10th at 1PM (1300) PST. Join us for Planetary Annihilation and Super MNC updates!

Which is pretty universal. I generally avoid short hand like 1/10/13 or 10/1/13 because it's not consistent from country to country.

As for posting here, I normally would, but someone hear beat me to the punch, so.. yah.

Just be aware that people getting bent about us using PST instead of GMT are being just as egocentric (and it's _always_ people asking why it's not GMT). ;-) Only a small percentage of the world population is in GMT. I do however make a point of listing 24 hour time, as 1:00PM, while pretty common world wide, is still more prone to confusion than simply saying "1300".

TL:DR - We'll post the way we do, and we do try and be thoughtful about how we do it, but.. when in doubt, www.lmgtfy.com. :D And Nord, I'm not picking on you, I actually was curious why people always raise an issue about this, and so far, other than being consistent about using standardized terms/formats, which we are trying to do, I don't think we need to make any other changes. PST will still continue to be the time we announce in.
  16. nightnord

nightnord New Member

Actually, if some European will post time in EST nobody will ever say a word. But as americans are generally very egocentric same behaviour from them is considered as "just another american we-are-so-cool ignorance" and therefore considered as offense against everyone else. There is no smoke without fire, that is.

But I'm fine with 24 hour clock and full date format. It's unambiguous enough so I don't need to recall 12-hour latin abbreviations. As about PST I'm living in GMT+4 so I don't care much about timezone anyway (I translated to GMT just as it's more "standard" way).
  17. Veleiro

Veleiro Member

Re: Livestream on January 10th at 1PM .PST

I'm not expecting a european company to be posting things in 1 PM Month/Day/Year format. Who's being egocentric now? Just give up, we know you and a lot of other people think american's are ignorant.

I do feel I won't be responding again after looking back and catching this reply.
  18. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

I think people should be expected to know their own time in GMT+something.

Where I am is currently GMT+11.

I'm forever Googling US timeszones (mainly for Eve) so I can work out when things around the world are happening.

As it turns out, PST is the same as GMT-8.

Heh, I think I have to be up at 8AM to watch this stream.
  19. garat

I've thought about including the (GMT-8) with posts, but I've found that generally causes just as much confusion, so.. again, I figure that's what Google is for. :)

I may, however, start posting links to the Facebook and Google+ events, which are public, and generally don't need accounts just to look at them. And I think they generally look at your IP address and make a best guess at time zone conversion, if you're not logged into the services.
  20. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

I was not aware you had a FB event up.

When logged in: mouse-over will tell you your local time (this might be computer time, as I have my computer out by an hour, but I haven't thoroughly checked).

When not logged in: gives the time in PST only.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.