TUTORIAL: Launch Dedicated Server with Batch Script

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by Dubspwns, December 19, 2010.

1. Dubspwns

Dubspwns New Member

Ok, this isn't really fancy or anything, but I'll go ahead and post it since apparently quite a few people don't know how to do batch scripts. Here we go:

1. Launch Notepad (Or if you're a cool kid, Notepad++)

2. If you're on x64 bit Vista/7 Copy this line
    and if you're on x32 bit Vista/7 copy THIS line:
    **I'm on x64 bit, so the file path may need to be changed**

3. Next, copy this line
    **Credit for this goes to Haxim from this thread.

4. This is the important part, pay attention. Click "File>Save As..." When the window pops up, choose where you want to save it. There should be a drop down that says "Text Document (*.txt)" click it and you should be able to change it to "All Files" Once you've changed in the file name field type ANYTHING you want to name it, then at the end add ".bat"

For example, I named mine "MNC Dedicated Server.bat" Now test it!

When you click it should pop up with a command prompt then about 3 seconds later it should load the dedicated server. You should be good to go. I'll post more about this later. I hope this helps :)
  2. Diablohead

Diablohead New Member

Thanks for this, I was getting a little tired loading up MNC all the time to test server stuff, this loads up a server in about 10 seconds for me and that is awesome.

*note my server still crashes on connect so it's useless to use atm lol*
  3. dustoff

dustoff New Member

Thanks for posting that so others can get servers up too .

I just hope they release the patch soon , I think everyone should hold of trying to host untill its fixed
  4. dustoff

dustoff New Member

if anyone can getthis work correctly and not crash when the first person joins please post here.

I know a few people have servers running correctly but dont want to give away how they did it . The dev's said they wont support command line start up right now so we need to figure it out .
  5. faits

faits New Member

I'm running a dedicated server right now. It was created from the command line using a batch script, but I didn't use the stuff in this thread. Instead I just copied out of a server log from a previous server I'd launched from inside the client. I have a different map rotation and a limit on number of assassins because I had several rounds where it was me and five assassins which was just incredibly frustrating.

Anyway, it's been running just fine for a while now. On the third map.

And I didn't do anything fancy or special, just waited until the patch had been downloaded through steam.
  6. dustoff

dustoff New Member

Again .

Care to share with everyone your command line batchfile ? . just paste it please so we can all try and get a server up .
  7. Dubspwns

Dubspwns New Member

I believe the patch they released today should fix MOST OF THE REASONS the servers are crashing. I've been running one for about 16 hours and it only crashed once for no apparent reason. Its been really stable though.

Another tip if you're having problems. Try going into the Properties of the game through steam, and under the Local Files tab click "Verify Integrity of Game Cache." I've had times where I would crash at initial load every time and after I did that, it was fixed.
  8. silience

silience New Member

I am curious about some of those values, aside from the self apparent ones. For instance why is anti cheat off? And match duration 2 is that the second selection for duration or 2 minutes? I assume the first.
  9. Dubspwns

Dubspwns New Member

I'm not absolutely sure why cheat is off. But I know that Admin commands for server do not work along with a few other things. They are going to be implemented though.

You could try setting it to true though. I was playing with the launch commands and it doesn't seem to have any effect if you turn something on that isn't implemented.
  10. Haxim

Haxim Member

On your local machine, make a dedicated server with the settings you want. Wait for it to launch, then shut it down.
    Browse to your c:\Users\(windows username)\Documents\My Games\UnrealEngine3\HostileGame\Logs (that's for win7, path may be slightly different on other OSes)
    Open up DedicatedServer.log in a text editor
    You should see a line that says Init: Command line:
    Everything after that are your arguments for launching mnc.exe

Although I just tried this and was still running into the issue where the first user tries to connect and gets stuck on the loading screen and then no other users can connect. Maybe faits can tell us what he's doing differently (if anything).
  11. faits

faits New Member

I'm not doing anything differently than that, and my server I launched this morning is still running.

weird.
  12. dustoff

dustoff New Member

even if I launch it from the game I get the same problem. I dont think the patch as found its way to everyone yet or did not patch right
  13. dustoff

dustoff New Member

Ok something very strange is going on .

If I try to host the server on my dedicated box in dallas I can see the server in the lobby but get the dreaded crash upon loading.

if I try to host the game on my Chi Box the server never shows up in the lobby but I can type open and join the server and it starts and runs a match. although no one can join it .

I am redownloading the game to my Dallas box from Seatle to see if it grabs the patch.

I know the Chi box has the patch so I might end up just transfering the files over .
  14. Haxim

Haxim Member

Are the OSes on your boxes the same? What's the 'working' one (Chi box) running?
  15. dustoff

dustoff New Member

Dallas 1 box is windows 2008 web edition list server but locks up
    dallas 2 box is windows 2008 standard edition wont list server but plays
    Chi Box is windows 2008 standard edition wont list server but plays

all are 64 bit . Firwalls are all turn off .

wonder what the diff is from the web edition
  16. the_Monk

the_Monk New Member

Not that it would necessarily make any sense but maybe it's the fact that the MNC server doesn't start properly on 64-bit OS's?

I mean back when we were hosting for Rainbow Six Vegas we had nothing but problems with Server 2003 and WinXP Pro x64 (which shares similarities with Server 2003). It wasn't until I moved one of my boxes to an early 32-bit Server 2008 BETA that my hosting woes went away.

Rainbow Six Vegas also used the Unreal engine.....
  17. faits

faits New Member

I'm running a server on vista x64
  18. the_Monk

the_Monk New Member

Well that explains it.....Vista wasn't a "real" operating system....hehe :mrgreen:

Seriously though....games ported from console to PC using the Unreal engine have been notoriously bad for hosting of dedicated servers. In fact I can't think of even one that didn't have issues.....
  19. dustoff

dustoff New Member

Yea I think its the various OS that are giving use problems. Hopefully they will be able to sort everything before release. This is one nice things about beta's working out problems.

If the devs are following this thread you need to make sure the server will work with windows 2003 , windows 2008 and all its flavors. Also we need to be able to not run under a steam account . Also Tcadmin support needs to be there also .

anyway if anyone wants a private place to play my server is running but cant be seen .
  20. kelpo

kelpo New Member

does anyone know howto change the gamemode and map when running a dedicated server ?