Which game do people want this to be "based on"

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by kmike13, December 18, 2012.

?

Which game should PA be based off of.

1. TA

21 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Supcom

19 vote(s)
    30.2%
  3. Supcom 2

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  4. Nothing

20 vote(s)
    31.7%
  1. dgj

dgj New Member

Why did you put sup com 2, that peace of utter crap as an option.
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Because people like to be apart of the band wagon of hate for the game.
  3. zordon

zordon Member

It's to humiliate it even further.
  4. kmike13

kmike13 Member

I like supcom 2.
  5. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

Why would this poll matter? Its allredy stated as a spiritual successor of TA. Your poll or public opinion wont change things if they allredy sold it as a "spiritual successor of TA".

Btw, even if its a spiritual successor of TA that dosent mean that people shouldent be able to draw conclusions from Supcom and use them on PA, Supcom is also a spiritual successor of TA, and many things used in supcom is a improvement from TA, so offcourse those should be considered.
  6. kmike13

kmike13 Member

Who said I wanted this poll to change anything?
  7. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

Wouldent that be the general purpose of a poll? :D
  8. kmike13

kmike13 Member

Normally yes, but as I said in the first post I just wanted to see what people thought. I am well aware that PA has been named as TA's successor, but some people think that it should be more aimed towards other games.
  9. KNight

KNight Post Master General

So we would ignore improvements these "other games" made to the TA formula and recreate even it's mistakes?

Mike
  10. nightnord

nightnord New Member

SupCom is also named "spiritual successor of TA". Is "spiritual successor" relation is transitive and is equivalence relation, thus forming an equivalence class for TA spiritual successor... Then we might just base PA on every game from that class!

Seems so.
  11. zachb

zachb Member

Yeah a sequel should be a sequel and try it's own stuff. But remember how pissed off people where when SupCom 2 tried to change it up a bit with it's "buy up front" economy?

Speaking of which......
    OK things I liked about SupCom 2

1. Flow Fields

2. The crazy 3D maps looked really nice, Gratned they were a bit tiny and prone to traffic jams but they looked neat.

3. I liked that it ran on my machine. I don't know what SC1 was doing in the background but it could bring my frame rate grinding to a halt after too long.

4. There wasn't a lot of late game building slow down. Maybe I was doing something wrong in SC1 and FA but it felt like it was just taking forever to build artillery, nukes, or even T3 units.

5. I liked the idea of their experimental buildings. Yeah the Experimental units got out of control but it was neat to see them try to be creative with buildings doing something new. The NOAH unit cannon, the auto recycler, and that bomb bouncing thing.

6. I liked that they tried to make the 3 factions a bit more unique than SC1. (granted this won't be an issue for PA)
  12. zordon

zordon Member

Yes it is far quicker to list the good things about supcom2 than the bad.

On your list though, I would only have included flowfield.
  13. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Supcom2 had some pretty cool experimentals. Most of them were just big units, but some were fairly unique. The Noah Cannon is definitely going to be there, as the trailer even showed a unit cannon. The super magnet and loyalty gun might see a comeback. I can definitely see giant transports used to drop a prefab base on site. You don't have to like the game to see that they can end up being really cool in PA.

Bad things. It was doing bad things.
  14. nightnord

nightnord New Member

NOAH unit cannon and flow-field (better implemented, hopefully) actually making their way into PA, so be happy.
  15. KNight

KNight Post Master General

1] Flow Fields have potential, but Supcom2's implementation was clumsy, leading to units suffering from 'Hover-Syndrome", side effects include Impossible turns, lack of inertia and randomly clipping into other units.

2]The Maps might have had more doodads and such(the benefit of the map being a giant 3D model) the actual gameplay elements of the maps where at best equal to FA's, in some cases worse.

3+4] This had primarily to do with the AI, over long games it tended to slow down the game, things to offset this(it couldn't be fixed) was Sorian's(yes that Sorian) AI in combination with his Cheating Options Add-on that could let you play with basically fewer AIs. Also Computer Specs help too, my current comp can run modded FA for over an hour without dipping into negative game speed with a moderate number of AIs(number varies based on map/cheating options)

5] Eh, Hit and Miss, some could have been better with a well thought out implementation. The unit cannon for example had some awkward qualities, like how if the units you shot happened to land on an enemy unit/building they just died from what I recall.

6] The FA were very well Diversified. Maybe not on the same level as say StarCraft Races are, but they aren't clone factions either.

Mike