Unreal Tournament 13th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by battletoads, December 1, 2012.

1. battletoads

battletoads New Member

Well, this isn't UT, but it IS run on the Unreal engine. I also imagine that most of you have played one of the UT's at some point. My thoughts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USRkTY-3-6s

I'm especially curious to see what you guys who have played since UT99 think about the direction the franchise has gone.
  2. mistermaf

mistermaf Active Member

Having played UT, UT2K4, and UT3, I think UT is the best. Never played 2K3. UT3 is pretty, but I thought it was meh, and so was 2K4. I agree that vehicles and giant maps are a step back. I've never been a big fan of arena shooters, though.
    Last edited: December 2, 2012
  3. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

Maf has your video playing on the other side of the room;
    Dude, get a grip. Yes, newer games aren't as good as old rose tinted glasses, but all I can think while hearing is "OMG, 'Toads is angry at something? I'm SHOCKED"
  4. mistermaf

mistermaf Active Member

I didn't play UT when it came out in '99. I played it when UT3 came out. I don't have rose-tinted glasses. I just think it's more fun.
  5. kvalheim

Was talking to toads.
    Also, there's this amazing feature called "not playing vehicle maps". There's still close quarters fast paced DM/CTF in all the games.

Personally though, will always have a soft spot for 2004, since it was the first game I ever made a map for.
  6. battletoads

battletoads New Member

Then don't watch.

I'm not looking at this through rose-tinted glasses. The ratio of good games to bad ones is much higher today than it was back then.

The sad truth is that there will never be another UT, especially with Cliffy B gone. The best we can hope for is some watered down, F2P, CoD clone.
  7. battletoads

battletoads New Member

By the way... If you think that's what I sound like when I'm angry, then you'd think I was the incredible ******* Hulk when I actually am.
  8. AraxisHT

AraxisHT Active Member

UT2004 is the best by far. I loved that game to death and back. UT3 is meh at best.
  9. roadkillgrill

roadkillgrill Active Member

UT3 has many little bugs that SMNC has and then some.

Gamespy
    FRAKING INVISOBIO!!!!!!!!!!
    Shooting but not firing
    Buttons down but need to be depressed to register
    shader based bullet trails visible through opaque geometry
    Demoguy bug
    Deathscreams
    Hard to read font at all resolutions
    Can see chats during loadscreen but can't see who it writing them.
    The download chatspam

Still play Ut2004 and UT3 occasionally
  10. kvalheim

There was this one amazingUT2004 map I played on a server a long time ago, but I was never able to find it again :<
  11. tomcatha

tomcatha New Member

i grew up on UT. It no longer being a real part of my life kind of makes me sad. UT1 was maybe the best but ut2k4 was different enough to keep me entertained. Also dont forget all those classic mods for both. From airfight and infiltration to a total annihilation mod for ut2k4.

Infact one of the ut2k3/2k4 mods red orchestra would dominate my gaming habits from 2004 to the summer of 2011.

There is a serious lack of good classic fps games. Everything these days is faux-realistic it seems. I know you have tribes and the new serious sam but i dont dare to play either on my laptop haha.

but ill be getting a new pc the coming year so ill catch up.