What's up this week? 11/22/12

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by neutrino, November 22, 2012.

1. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

Sounds cool, thanks for the answer.
  2. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

3. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

The chat is apart of the Twitch channel and so Uber has no control on how the chat works.
  4. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

That´s not completly true.The livestream host can set up a few configurations to the chat(Like a gamer in a game the graphics settings).

I´m realy looking forword to the next Update Neutrino.
  5. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

do you need some formulas about orbit mechanics? :D
    In the stream, the planets farther away from the central celestial body were faster than the inner ones. :p not possible! :S
  6. neutrino

Awesome.
  7. luukdeman111

luukdeman111 Member

Awesome as in: awesome, gimme the formulas

Or awesome as in: we're not shooting for realism, we're shooting for awesome, so I don't need your formulas...

Could mean both, though I hope it's the first one.... Im a physics nerd...
  8. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

If you missed the live stream but wanted to watch it, you can find the archive here:
    http://www.twitch.tv/uberchannel/b/344229715

Talking starts at 00:05:39, but you can also listen to some awesome tunes and watch a planet getting exploded constantly too.
  9. paulzeke

paulzeke Member

Cannot view. I'm clicking the top link in the archive of what was posted today, and am getting an error msg "sorry! broadcast is no longer available on Justin.tv. Check out the channel!"

:(
  10. neutrino

http://www.twitch.tv/uberchannel

Check click on the latest one. Just tried it and it worked fine for me. Unfortunately we don't control twitch so there isn't much we can do if it doesn't work. I suppose maybe get them onto youtube as well.
  11. grimbar

grimbar New Member

There's a pretty simple export to youtube option. It works well, I've used it before for NoFunTV (the SMNC team knows that one :D)

Enjoy your weekend and keep on doing what you do
  12. paulzeke

paulzeke Member

I am clicking on the most recent one and it's just giving me the broadcast no longer available message.

where is this export to youtube option? It would be nice if Uber would post these PA video updates in their youtube channel after the livestream so we could see them.
  13. grimbar

grimbar New Member

That option is only available to the broadcaster, to mitigate theft of intellectual property.
  14. paulzeke

paulzeke Member

that makes sense

If i sounds like a raving meth fiend scrambling for a fix it's because I've been checking this forum twice daily since the kickstarter in hopes that Neutrino posts some new morsel of information for me to snarf down, and now that a sizable video update is released I can't even access it :cry:
  15. KNight

KNight Post Master General

That's it? ;p

I had about 19 posts here prior to the PA KS......I'll let you do the math! ;p

Mike
  16. thefirstfish

thefirstfish New Member

Meh. Watched pots never boil.

Let's all go outside, experience nature, play frisbee, then come back in a year.
  17. bloedhren

bloedhren New Member

Thanks for all the tech updates. They're much appreciated. :) As a sw developer i understand how it feels to show something not yet finished. You always have to justify yourself, so that the customers don't draw false conclusions about the final product. But i find it a very nice move to show the work in progress.

@Elijah
    Do you have a good read about flow fields? I didn't find much useful on google. Even though i'm not gonna implement any sort of flow field in the near future i find it very interesting.
    Btw. thanks for the Supcom 2 flow field.

regards
    Bloedhren
  18. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

I think it is, "awesome idea, but we have that in mind". it was only an early version of the editor. I had that in mind, my post was not totally serious, though for me proper physics are really important. ;)
  19. redarrow7216

redarrow7216 Member

Why is that not possible?

Could you give me some formulas as I'm not familiar with planet movement.
  20. guzwaatensen

guzwaatensen Active Member

Well first of: They just threw together the editor to show us how biome generation would work so obviously they will fix that, anyway short explanation (for those too lazy to consult wikipedia):

Concerning Rotational Center:

When they first showed another planet orbiting the first, that's actually not going to happen, in reality bodies rotate around a common center of mass that is given by the formula:

[​IMG]

Where r is the distance between the rotational center and the center of the larger body, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two bodies respectively and a is the distance.

Note how most of the time the difference in weight is so big that the common center is still inside the volume of the larger body, there are however notable exceptions (binary systems for example).

Follow this link to see animations of how different masses could rotate around each other:
    Wikipedia Entry
    (Only circular orbits are accounted here, it get's more complicated with elliptical orbits)

As to why a body can't rotate faster than a body with a closer orbit, see this formula:

[​IMG]

v0, the orbital velocity is a function of the masses and the radius, in a single system the mass of the central body is always the same. So if the orbiting bodies mass is also constant that orbital velocity has to decrease with distance for the orbit to stay stable (e.g. no escaping or falling into the star). the only possibility for a body to be faster is if it's mass was much bigger. You will never see that though, as a body - with significant mass to actually have a faster period than a closer body - would noticeably distort the rotation of the other two bodies and you end up with a complex 3-body problem, with irregular orbit paths...
    Last edited: December 1, 2012