F.A.Q. Planetary Annihilation

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by garat, November 21, 2012.

1. phoib

phoib New Member

Will the alpha and beta versions be for Windows only, or can I also enjoy them on Linux?
  2. M3t0r

M3t0r New Member

how will you ship the game on linux? *.deb, *.rpm, *.bin, an install *.sh? which distro's will you support (full linux support or is "linux" equivalent to "ubuntu"?)? which libraries will you use in which version, are they linked static or dynamic? which architectures will you support, x86, x86_64, powerpc, arm, ....

i think you get my point.
  3. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Regarding beta/alpha questions. It's a bit early to answer any specifics, but it's safe to assume we'll want to alpha and beta test the game on every platform we can. As for specific distro format, we'll provide more information when we have it. And I'll update the FAQ at that point as well! :)

Cheers - G
  4. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Since we are simultaneously developing on all of the platforms I would expect the mac/linux versions to be available fairly early. We will probably roll them out at slightly different times though so we can isolate bugs per platform more easily.
  5. sabetwolf

sabetwolf Member

My friend bought a retail key for me, will I still get the Theta commander?
  6. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

Yes, of course you get the Theta commander.
  7. Khrayfish

Khrayfish New Member

Q: I got the $50 reward bundle because I couldn't really afford the $90 for the Alpha, can we spend another $40 to upgrade to the Alpha?

Edit: Also, regarding the same circumstances, would it be possible to get the Alpha Commander as I was there for the kickstarter?
  8. thapear

thapear Member

You get the Alpha commander if you've backed in the kickstarter/paypal stage, otherwise, I'd say no. The whole point of the Alpha commander was to get people to back in the kickstarter/paypal stage instead of buying the game later.
  9. Khrayfish

Khrayfish New Member

I did back during the Kickstarter/Paypal stage but I got the $50 instead of the $90, that's my question.
  10. thapear

thapear Member

So that's not the alpha level, so I guess not eh.
  11. acey195

acey195 Member

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Especially since with 50$, I guess you already have beta. Playing the alpha, is not necessarily going to be as fun as the final game. It will have bugs, most likely quite a number of them, and balance could be very well off.

Not to degrade the work of Uber, it is just how it is, its why it is called alpha. Of course it depends on Uber's definition of alpha stage.

the people that did back for alpha access, I hope did not do so for simply playing the game sooner. Having alpha access however will grant you the ability to help the team with isolating bugs and making the game better in the end.

Just to be clear, alpha's can be fun, but in a different way than the final game. Bug hunting can be engaging in its own right, but it is not everyone's thing.

And there's probably still a lot of this "bug hunting glory" left for the beta stage.
  12. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Having access to the alpha will allow people to learn about the games modding system, and maybe put in their own fixes until the Beta and the retail version are released. An Alpha version would really get the ball rolling :3
  13. kdog111

kdog111 New Member

i think if u have some stuff that can be auto constructed (sorry for spelling errors) it will make it more gentle on the RTS challenged like me
  14. Khrayfish

Khrayfish New Member

I don't think you understand me, I am asking if I can pay another $40 to be in the Alpha. I added the Alpha Commander thing as an extension of the original question.
  15. danielbrauer

danielbrauer Member

I believe that was an option during finalization, but I don't think you can change it at this point. Best ask in the finalization thread.
  16. AraxisHT

AraxisHT Active Member

So about the SMNC PA flair.....
  17. creditdawg

creditdawg New Member

Hey, I preordered PA but I found out the game is 40 euros? The pre order page says 40$! Is it 40 USD or 40 euros which is 51 USD?
  18. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

I guess thats what it is then. The product is in Dollars, so it would have to be converted to the proper amount in euros.
  19. creditdawg

creditdawg New Member

i'm gonna have to refund, i can't afford 10$ more, can somebody from uber confirm the price?
  20. svip

svip Member

$ is the dollar symbol. € is the euro symbol. A more reasonable question would be is it Canadian dollars or Australian dollars? Both of which are worth more than American dollars.