Mobile RTS games

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by theseeker2, November 23, 2012.

?

Do you like rusted warfare

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. Havn't installed demo yet

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  4. I don't have an android device

17 vote(s)
    65.4%
  1. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

I wanted to know what your favorite mobile RTSs are. Mine is Rusted Warfare, it's a game inspired by both TA and C&C. It even has the SupCom strategic zoom. The graphics aren't so great, but keep in mind that this is an individual developer making it...
  2. Pluisjen

Pluisjen Member

I don't play mobile RTS games. The best mobile strategy I've played though, is Advance Wars. But I generally only game on my desktop, so it probably doesn't mean much.
  3. mrlukeduke

mrlukeduke Member

I've never seen a true RTS for a mobile device. 'Rusted Warfare' looks like it's attempting something like that. Perhaps by mobile we usually mean RTT (Real-Time Tactical) game? I think mobile devices, iPads and such are all too restrictive for wide-scale strategy (micro/macro). At least until user interface technologies develop.

I personally think the coolest small-time tactical games to come out in recent years were the wave of online tower defence games. So simple, so addictive, and a decent enough amount of planning and fore-thought required. But maybe those don't count as 'real time' as they're cyclical (not quite turn based). Also they are single-player afaik.
  4. theseeker2

Rusted Warfare is not an RTT, however, I do feel that the only issue is scale, but don't forget, the game is still in alpha, and after reading what he has planned (including a server-based multiplayer) I feel that it very well COULD be the first full rts on mobile. And to top that off, it runs at 60 FPS on my original motorola droid, so it's not battery or resource intensive.
  5. theseeker2

I play on my desktop most of the time too. sometimes I'll do it on my droid, but I flashed a custom jelly bean ROM on it, and it appears to have a memory leak...
  6. Thundertactics

Thundertactics New Member

The best RTS I've played on my smartphone is Warzone 2100 through a PSX emulator, mostly for laughs. The form factor really isn't suitable for that kind of interaction, nor are tablets. In fact, the only time where a touchscreen is even remotely appropriate is on truly large panels, such as Microsoft's (original) Surface as demonstrated by Ruse, but even then it's mostly a novelty factor.

I could see tablets with active digitizers working, though, as those would offer a suitable amount of buttons and accuracy, as well as the ability to hover over stuff.
  7. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

Great Little War Game is fantastic. Turned based though.
  8. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Its sequel (great big war) is also à must have :)
  9. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

Absolutely!
  10. vollatze

vollatze New Member

A user in the SupCom base started to make SupCom a mobile game for android.The game was totally awesome...SupCom graphics with the engine from SupCom2 :D
  11. theseeker2

The concept was good, but the controls were messed up... never did figure out how to play it.
  12. unwoundpath

unwoundpath New Member

Anybody here heard of "Land air sea warfare"? It's for IOS and looks good, and such, never really played it, but thought it should be mentioned.
  13. theseeker2

I actually test rusted warfare, but if I didn't I'd probably get an ipad, yeah I did see it, if only I had an ipad...