1. redarrow7216

redarrow7216 Member

So I wonder how Uber is going to prevent acu snipes seeing they're not going to use shields.

Do we really want a game where ACUs can be picked off pretty easy?

Pretend both parties have +-150 FB"s and one clashes into the other, seeing his commander. Oh, hey, that's a nice target! :)

I think you need some sort of protection against this that's better than just "hunker".
  2. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

Hmm, if we assume that moving armies between worlds will take atleast some time and resources, moving him to another world might serve as protection. Since the enemy will need time to build anything that can snipe him or move enof of a army over to just rush him.

The devs have described it as a cat and mouse game, were the playing feild gets smaller from astroid bombarded planets not being usable.

3. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

Missile defence, anti-ground turrets and anti-air turrets? Decoy commanders? Hiding underwater? Hiding on the dark side of the moon?
  4. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Teleporters, recall devices, Gateways to other sides of the galaxy?

A commander doesn't have to be faster than everything, just faster than conventional space travel.
  5. redarrow7216

redarrow7216 Member

Thanks I missed that post :)
  6. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Decoys sounded interesting. There can be some interesting ideas to assist in making ACUs able to hide out in the galaxy sneakily too.
  7. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

Stealth generator?
  8. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

How about bringing your army between your commander and the enemy? I think thats how it always worked in FA to begin with.
  9. godde

godde Well-Known Member

Planets are spheres so potentially you will have to have them all around your commander.
    In FA you typically wanted your ACU in your army rather than behind it in most 1v1 because it was such a strong combat unit.
    If the Commander is going to be a liability in PA it will propably be most cost effective to send it off planet so you doesn't have to dedicate as much units to keep your commander safe.
  10. Pavese

Pavese New Member

Don't implement untouchable Air (looking at you T3 Air).

Problem solved.
  11. ekulio

ekulio Member

Do orbital units count as untouchable air? :| I have no idea how the orbital units are supposed to work, but I hope it's not like the Novax. Does anyone know?
  12. jurgenvonjurgensen

jurgenvonjurgensen Active Member

Fixed that for you. T3 air was fine in FA once the Restorer got nerfed.
  13. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

No, it really wasn't.
  14. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Imagine that. A game where air units had the same metal cost, twice the health, 3 times the DPS, and 4 times the speed of their ground counterparts. It somehow became unbalanced. I don't think anyone could have seen that coming. :roll:
  15. jurgenvonjurgensen

Really?

To me that looks like the Wailer has half the HP/mass of the Loyalist, less than half the DPS/mass, only twice the speed (rather than the four times you're claiming) and needed 2.8 times the energy per mass and 20% more build power. Where are you getting your numbers from?
  16. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

What does the different armor types do btw? I see that air is considered light armor while ground is normal. But i cant find any information on what the difference is.
  17. insanityoo

insanityoo Member

Isn't FAF different than FA?
  18. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I am pretty sure most planets wont be just flat, so there will be places that are easy to defend where can you place your acu, once the fights on the front are being fought by units so big that the acu should not participate anymore. Sure in normal situations in 1v1 most of the time the acu will just be together with the army and fight.

EDIT: I wanted to link supcomdb.com to show the FA-values concerning the air/land cost ratios but it seems the domain is for sale now :(
  19. godde

godde Well-Known Member

With FA balance on spherical planet it would be really hard to keep the commander safe against air since it would be hard to intercept Strat bombers. Not much terrain can do against air to keep the commander safe. Just imagine stealthed Cybran Strat bombers. Your ASF blob could have a standoff against while his stratbomber is on the side of the planet going towards your commander.

A TA commander on the other hand has a cloak and could just turn it on to keep him safe. You just need some jammers and the enemy would have no idea where the commander is.
  20. jurgenvonjurgensen

The restorer nerf was an FAF change, so I've been talking about FAF the whole time.