This, is what PA will have to top.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by ta4life, November 10, 2012.

1. ta4life

ta4life New Member

2. FlandersNed

FlandersNed Member

What, the teamwork or the game?
  3. ta4life

ta4life New Member

The game. I am sure they have plenty of teamwork, they have people who made the best RTS available. I just hope they learn from the best gameplay examples available today and not get side tracked by some noobs who have some random theory about why supcom 2 is good or that tech level are bad or some other insane idea.
    Here is another example:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiqwU2SEaEs
  4. sturm532

sturm532 Member

he thanks i really liked that game gonna go play some faf in the evening or night

hope we will see such games in PA

And they should make a FaF something in PA .... maybey we can come with some ideas for that part of PA ( I would want to see a social network with a news server in PA )

Cheerio ..........
  5. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

You know PA is being made by some of the same people who worked on supcom right?
  6. ta4life

ta4life New Member

supcom FA in 2007 and supcom FA today are completely different games
  7. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

How does that relate to the price of cheese?
  8. zordon

zordon Member

9. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

Gotta say, i love that replay with commentary xD. Watched it 3 times thus far. I wonder if theres a high quality download somewhere?
  10. qwerty3w

qwerty3w Active Member

keepvid.com
  11. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

Thank you.

Works fine, but i dont like the security alerts my anti virus software gets when i use that site.
  12. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

So what you're saying is that FA 2012 is what PA will have to beat?

I just watched that FAF Seton's replay and it doesn't really look like anything new has been brought to the table.
  13. ta4life

ta4life New Member

Gameplay has really changed and aspects of the game that people didn't think were important turned out to be critical. Many lessons were learned. The overall philosophy brought by Chris Taylor, that UI shouldn't be obstructive and that the game should spontaneously make itself turned out to be genius ideas.

It took a lot of games by 1000's of players to begin to understand this game, it is now an art pass down to new generations of gamers. Today's noob would be an epic player back in 2007, especially on large maps.

Supcom FA is a world with many different places. The economy has many layers of understanding. Micro is so diverse, that only a handful of players know all of it.

Supcom FA is a game of many details, where no single aspect dominates.

These videos make no sense to people who haven't seen the game. This is not surprising since parts of the game still don't make sense to people who have been playing for years.
  14. redarrow7216

redarrow7216 Member

There is only one way to find out if a game is good.

That is, if you like it. Not because someone tries to defend it with reasoning. I quote; "OMG THIS GAME LOOKS SO MUCH BETTER"

No, it's the total picture. Gameplay, graphics, friendly community, controls, etc etc.

I personal prefer my little pony's adventure over TA/SUPCOM. So it's a better game compared to any RTS really :p

Also, I watched your first video, it didn't made me feel excited playing that game.
  15. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I'll keep saying it, SC2 is a good RTS game.

Better with mods, like most games.

And if you want a random theory of one of the ting that made it good, lets try flow fields as an innovation.

Besides PA is based on Total Annihilation, not SupCom.

Edit: Always makes my point seem good after a comment like that ^.
  16. ta4life

ta4life New Member

What exactly are you quoting? The word "quote" has a precise definition.

The rest of your post also made little sense, could you elaborate on the analogy you made about little pony adventure and supcom FA/TA?

Is your whole message basically saying, that opinions have no rational basis?

But then you say specifics like gameplay, community, etc. matter...

To clarify, my previous posts were trying to convey something about the gameplay of supcom FA, something that should be retained in PA.
  17. igncom1

I dunno, there are many cases in witch the combat system in FA was kinda lackluster.

And that's just comparing what would be good from previous games, where there is room to be unique with newer concepts.
  18. ta4life

ta4life New Member

with regard to SC2, here is just a subset of what went wrong:
    http://strategyspace.wordpress.com/2012 ... -supcom-2/

Flow field is actually one thing that made the game less attractive to people who like micro, it took away some of the control you have over your units.(check out some starcraft forums, when they mention SC2)

Saying PA is based on total annihilation and not Supcom, really makes no sense at all. What exactly are you trying to say?
  19. ta4life

ta4life New Member

What do you mean by kind of lackluster? Can you be anymore vague?
    There is enough different micro in the game that an average player hasn't even seen all of it.
    Veterancy? Unit upgrades? 4 Factions? Unit ranges that go from 0 to infinity. Interaction between terrain and weapon type, elevation.... Weapons that require power to use, shields, stealth,....

lackluster?

Mods like blackops? are lackluster?

Are you just trolling?
  20. igncom1

I dunno about you, but I like other RTS games, so SupCom2 was a good game, really it was just a jab at the subjective side of how people view games.

This game was never about the micro, its nice and you can still do it in SC2 to a very large extent.....I actually do more micro in SC2 then SC1!

And the comment about it being based off of TA is to say that the people who are making their assumption based on SupCom1 and how it played are misguided. Because the game is going to be based on a different game with a different balance, so many of what people say in regards to (Playing the game well) is full on wrong.

Micro again, is not the point of the game, you should not be microing stuff on a game of this scale, its just wrong.

And as for lack luster, how about the games where you just build experimental after experimental, stack 100 engineers on an air factory, build hundreds of shields into you base and spam artillery, factions that can build hover artillery but not hover tanks of the same tech level, terrain that barely is even in the game at all to the point where some map are just plain old flat, Units that have range that ignore the point of terrain altogether, only artillery costing power to shoot, shields that are more like auto-repairing units that cost power.

And mods are made by the community, but its not like most don't just add 100's of unit you will never use anyway.

That's what I find lack luster..........And then you have the audacity to call it trolling because I have a different opinion?