What's up this week? - 11/5/2012

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by neutrino, November 5, 2012.

1. paulzeke

paulzeke Member

oh that's good to hear. I was kind of concerned when I heard about the "trick sphere" method, glad to hear something else is being pursued
  2. dracoknight

dracoknight New Member

Just wondering, will a map tool be avaliable for players?
    i would love to set my teeth into those tools ^^
  3. Causeless

Causeless Member

Well, the kickstarter campaign advertised a map editor, so I believe so ;)
  4. Hydrofoil

Hydrofoil Member

Id back an expansion that brought that into the game!
  5. danielbrauer

danielbrauer Member

Do you have any plans for UI to help avoid the problems people have thinking in sphere space?
  6. mar3usmc

mar3usmc New Member

I must say I almost wish they would NOT release a map editor.

Pick your game, from FPS to RTS, playing the same maps over and over gets boring very fast, and it also give unfair advantage to "veteran" players who "know" the map. If you are good, then you should play well on any and every procedurally generated map. The last thing I want to see in this game are servers set up where there is only one porcy map played, think lots of mountains, where all the noobs gather and never get any better at the overall game. This results in an overall decrease in the game community population and quality of players. This is the main reason I don't play Spring (name your mod) anymore.

A procedural map generator with settings for percentages of terrain type, and other features, I think is more than enough.
  7. lordantag

lordantag Member

Well... I believe that there will be servers with fully random maps as you like it. Simply forcing people to do it your way does not mean they will play like that. They can choose simply to not play the game anymore.

Besides, having a tool for the community to artificially replicate game situations is useful for players to round rough edges on their strategies or create new strategies, creating a pool of highly skilled players.
  8. qwerty3w

qwerty3w Active Member

Hope the game will offer a way to generate symmetrical maps.
  9. daemonicknight

daemonicknight New Member

U contradicted urself. U say that you dont want the same maps to be played and so u dont want a map maker? This makes no sense as if no map maker is given then u WILL play the same maps given to the community (there can essentially be infinity maps with a map maker).

A better question is why will we need a map maker if the maps are randomally generated how can we make maps?
  10. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

I think some people are confused about the map editor that's been built into the game.

It's not the kind of editor where you build things form scratch, it's the procedural planet/system generator that you can control. Now it's potentially possible to build an editor that works on the output of the procedural system but that's not part of what we're doing right now.
  11. nateious

nateious Active Member

So kinda like in the Civilization series, you can pick parameters like % ocean, continents or pangea, resource density, etc but the actual map would be different each time with the same parameters.
  12. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Ya, as a certain someone said in The Avengers movie "Skip the spinning rims. We are on the clock"

In other words, just get basic stuff in there, and work to get that bug free for the Alpha. Once the basic systems are in, and playable, you can expand on that.
  13. poncegabriel

poncegabriel New Member

Very awesome can't wait to here more.
  14. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

Neutrino:
    I should have enough data to announce what we are doing next week. It's going to be interesting to see the reaction, to say the least

I post it here so everybody can see it directly
    Again I cant wait for it.
  15. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

source?
  16. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

17. Wahrheit

Wahrheit New Member

I would play this so much.
  18. ToastAndEggs

ToastAndEggs Member

I can imagine, PA on a halo ring, hell someone might make a decent halo wars like mod.
  19. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

I hope metal planet weapons will look like this : [​IMG]
    Stargate Antiker weapon on the planet Dakara.(Home of the first Jaffa(Goa´uld) ritual)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Wrf39VEMGCA
    Example of how it works.

I agree to these non sphere planet mods too but i dont like Halo much :twisted:

Realy unactive topic since 3 days hhhmmmmm........
  20. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

But when next week?At the start or at the ending of the week?
    Livestream?