Planetary / Orbital body Dynamics

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by siefer101, November 5, 2012.

1. siefer101

siefer101 Active Member

What will be the limits to the changability of orbital dynamics? In the game play visualization the planets were shown orbiting a star and moon orbiting the planet etc... Will I be able to change orbits of bodies for my benifit?
    I know asteroid orbits can be changed as they are superweapons.

Move asteroids in to an orbit as opossed to a collision course or
    eject moons from a planetary orbit
    or even move planets into orbit around another star...

The fist seems the most plausible, the second two are more of a testing of the limits of the system.

Thanks!!!
  2. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

The issue with the second two isn't the difficulty in mechanics, it's more a question of the physics the devs are trying to use. It's been said you can build engines on a planet, the issue is, that as things get bigger, mass grows faster than surface area for engines, and with F=m*a, you actually wont get much movement if you coat a moon/planet in engines.

A moon has a better chance than a planet, but for the interstellar bit, the time involved should be enormous compared to moving an asteroid.
  3. SleepWarz

SleepWarz Active Member

As it was pointed out in a previous thread we don't believe the timeframe within the game will permit much orbital movement outside of smaller bodies.
  4. wierd101

wierd101 New Member

Is there a possibility of a extended time period game mode to allow for movement of large celestial bodies? If you could get a large asteroid from the oort cloud moving it would have time to accelerate to such an extent that it could knock a small moon from orbit.

Ramming planets might take a long time, but it'd be cool if you had a mode where you could run a kamikaze mission with the explosion cut scene showing your commander riding a "little boy" - the nuke - shaped statue, then zoom out to watch the two planets do there thing, exploding or merging together (maybe even doing the make-a-new-moon thing) and making a new lava planet for conquering.
  5. Consili

Consili Member

At the moment it hasn’t really been confirmed how in depth orbital mechanics (if any) are going to be implemented. Certainly most seem to agree that an in depth simulation would not be the best thing from a gameplay perspective. Simple elliptical or circular orbits, you know just representations of orbits, in much the same way as the planets are just stylistic representations of planets given their size.

I think I heard somewhere that Uber were going to play with orbital mechanics and see whether or not it was good for gameplay or not, and if so what depth, but I can’t remember where I read that.

Looks like you are relatively new to the forums siefer101, if so welcome!

This thread is a good place to start for any questions you have, has a pretty good consolidation of confirmed features (though probably not comprehensive)

http://forums.uberent.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=34022
  6. zachb

zachb Member

Also, as with many things, there was a poll a while ago.
    viewtopic.php?f=61&t=35709

And personally I think it got enough hits to make a link on the suggested features thread, but whatevs.