?

Lava planets cooling to normal planets/Partialy inhabitable ones?

1. Yes, but only if units and the timer method's are used.

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. No, this sounds like a bad idea.

23 vote(s)
    63.9%
  3. Perhaps, but only if units are required.

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  4. Sure, only if an auto timer until the planet cools down is involved

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. scottx125

scottx125 New Member

Ok, so i was just thinking to myself pondering on what happend to the planet after it got hit by the asteroid. And my question is Will planets in PA just become lava planets or will they actualy break off into smaller pieces and literaly become "destroyed".

2nd question, if planets become lava planets due to an impact or whatever, will these planets be recoverable? I mean surely lava planets would eventualy cool down, say like a 10-30 min timer till that planet can become inhabitable again? Or even give units which can extract heat from a planet to make it inhabitable once again?

3rd question, if planets did cool down after being hit by a meteorite and becoming a lava planet, would the planets Geography be different to what it was before, or would it be randomised/ dependant on where the impact or disaster occoured which previously caused the planet to become a lava planet?
  2. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

They want the playing feild to shrink as the game progresses, so i doubt a "lava planet" will cool down.
  3. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

"Planetary ANNIHILATION" meaning that after a Planet has been whacked by an asteroid, or another planet (Lols) or even a mood, The planet is destroyed. Annihilated.

Thats the end of the planet.... Think of Alderaan VS The Death Star in Starwars. Wasnt much left of Alderaan was there?
  4. zachb

zachb Member

I wouldn't mind someone trying to repair a damaged planet, but there needs to be a point where the planet takes too much damage and straight up explodes.
  5. theonetain

theonetain New Member

-On Topic-
    For cooldown time I say 30 minutes minimum after being discovered...maybe longer depending on planet size. After the cooldown period has expired then the use of special units and/or tech will be required to start the solidification process.

On the flip side there should be advantages to keeping the planet in its molten state (e.g. high energy production, etc). So special units and/or tech will be needed for this possibility as well.

-Off Topic-

Quote: "We're not shooting for realism, we're shooting for Awesome!"

Okay...that being said...my opinion is that lava planets should be a little more difficult to destroy given their nature (semi-liquid so there will be some give). So it should take a large asteroid to do some damage or a metal planet/super weapon to destroy one.

scottx125's third question raises some of my own. Do solid surface planets (none/few/some/all) have molten cores? After a molten core planet has been "Destroyed" are the pieces solid for resource harvesting? Molten for short term energy recovery then resource harvesting after they harden? Possibly the nature of the pieces could be determined at random upon "Destruction" of the planet.

I'll break it off here before I get carried away :cool:

SHADUS TAIN
  6. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

Let's look at the problem from a game design and technical perspecitve:
    Have you guys ever played a game like Galactic Civilizations or Sins of a Solar Empire? You start with a couple of units and planets and after a while you have to manage whole solar systems and hundreds of units.

Destroying planets and 'removing' them from the playing field will increase the end game speed and help to decide matches. I'm sure you have played some strategy game with friends or online on a large map that turned into a stalemate due to the size of the map and the amassed defenses of the remaining players. I think giving players the option to decrease the size of the playing field over time might prevent this from happening or makes it at least less likely. And not only that, it also means your PC doesn't slow to a crawl the longer the game progresses.

That is why I think destroying planets for good is an interesting, new game mechanic (not only something that looks awesome) and I would like to see how it turns out! :p

However, I'm sure Uber can put in a switch for custom games that turns it off - in case you want to play that epic 36 hour match on your weekend LAN party.
  7. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Attaching limited resources to a planet can also help do the same thing. No matter how good a planet was early on, it would later become barren and nearly worthless to invade. Players would be forced to expand as time goes on, and old worlds would either be scrapped or left as forts. The only real answer to a strip mined world is to skip the invasion and blow it up.

Unlimited resources would make planetary destruction a much more difficult choice. Is it better to spend 30 minutes invading a really fantastic world, or is it better to just get rid of it? If it's a major hub, things could get really messy. Decisions, decisions.

Awwww, yeah. Set build queue, set rally point, go to bed. Good times.
  8. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

Well, those are the important, far reaching decisions game designers usually want.
  9. Consili

Consili Member

I think there is an issue here as well if players mismanage themselves and there is a stale mate because neither side has the resources to mount effective assaults against established defences.

As for planets cooling I would say I would prefer if they didn't. From a game play perspective, like Col_Jessep stated, shrinking the field of battle makes for an interesting mechanic. This mechanic along with a lot of the asteroids destructive potential is mitigated if the effective space in the solar system gets larger rather than smaller. Also if you have volcanic planet or asteroid destroyed planet, it isn't going to cool off in a hurry, certainly not within the time scale of a game.

People may counter that statement with "awesome not realism" but I would find it a bit jarring. On top of which volcanic planets cooling off doesn't sound terribly engaging.
  10. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

I don't think lava planets will have any time to cool down. This war is happening in real time. ;)
  11. paulzeke

paulzeke Member

maybe for smaller asteroid impacts they could cool down, but for a massive impact it's done for good? this would mean there would be more than one scale of impact, adding strategic options
  12. sturm532

sturm532 Member

I have heard from Neutrino that an asteroid impact can take half the playble planets surface away with only one impact and that smaller asteroids/lesser engines have smaller impacts...( I heard this during a livestream from the uberchannel )

I liked Lavaplanets in TA so i will certainly like PA's lava planets ( i hope ) ..

and now i totally lost my objective of this

Don't drink and post boys and girls ............
    ----

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----
    After seeing the demo of the of the Kickstarter video haven't you dreamed of playing that single level of the kickstarter demo with all thats in the kickstarter...
    how about a single promotition game of the kickstarter video just for us bacckers or all that are intersted in the game,, and then ofcourse that promotion game should have mod capabilties just for us to have fun .........

sorry for the long chat.....
  13. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

Okey, i may have misunderstood you, but from how i interpet your post your asking about a "the demo" they used in the kickstarter video?

There is no demo, the kickstarter video is a "concept pitch" trailer, basicly a movie on how they envision the game, the game isent anywere near playable yet (But we wont have to wait for that long before the alpha, they seem to work very fast).