Capturing of buildings and construction units

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by sturm532, November 2, 2012.

1. sturm532

sturm532 Member

one of the things when playing against the Ai in supcom i always repeated was capturing of engineers the AI sent out.
    By doing this i gained acces to Eaon or UEF structures and units

I also did this with Total Annihilation capturing a arm construction vehicle

I also want to be able to capture a small construction base ( a base with a metal extractor and a solar plant or a Kbot lab and two solar plants..

any of you agree with me or do you want to see it a little bit different.......

Cheerio

sorry for this strange post but i',m not sober so bear with me
    .......................................................................................................................
  2. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Capturing is both a pointless, and a "well duh" system in PA.

Why is it pointless?

There are no factions. There's literally no need to capture an enemy engineer - you can already build his stuff.

Well duh.

They're the same faction, it's not like they use completely incompatible signals. There isn't really any reason why capturing shouldn't work. And it's a handy way for engineers to be effective.
  3. sturm532

sturm532 Member

well i just think it should be an option.....

an example..
    you land on a hostile planet you build a small base with two k-bot labs and build scouts, when you have five scouts you send them out finding something or new metal deposits.
    two scouts find nothing two other find a small enemy base with two solar plants and a metal extractor .

No you have a choice of two, do you destroy the small base or capture it with six construction bots or special capture bots

and the last scout finds nothing...

as i said this is just an example

but if mods are gong to be made and their sure are going to be faction mods( other unitpools ) so an inbuilt capture option in the original coding would be nice.

don't really know how to say this but construction units with the capture command should be able to capture construction units or construction buildings from the other Unit pool and then the original units be unitpool 1 ...

cheers............to you all
  4. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Capturing is just another way of waging war. The only problem across games is that engies were pretty dumb, couldn't combine efforts, and needed a lot of micro to pull it off.

It would be great to see a more in depth capturing system for the game. For example, a failed capture may leave a unit paralyzed as it purges various viruses from its system. Or it could go neutral/berserk. There are plenty of options to explore.