Planetary naming

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by borbra, November 1, 2012.

1. borbra

borbra New Member

I have a really hard time choosing what names to include in the naming system, so can anyone else that has done it help me out?
    What name did you use? e.g. your user name, or your regular name?
    I'm primarly not interested in the spesific name, just the kind of name that others have typed in.
  2. Consili

Consili Member

There were heaps of ideas I had but unfortunately they were geared towards specific types of planets and there was no assurance that any of my planet names would be tied to a planet type in the procedural generator.

I mainly looked to Latin to hash out potential names. Other than that I have looked into various mythologies, like Greek and Norse and references to literature.

So a few examples of what I mean (feel free to use them as I haven't):

Catonium - Lava Planet
    Intermundia - the space between worlds (if asteroids were named)
    Orcus, Orcusi Orcum - Ice planet
    Frigus or Frigoris: Ice planet
    Adustus, Adustum (roughly means burnt) Lava planet
    Apricus - open to the sun (Desert planet)
    Limeninis - threshold, any entrance or border or beginning esp starting of a race
    Dimicatio - fight, battle
    Hastatus - armed with a spear
    Proelior - a battle
    Nepenthes - after the genera of carnivorous pitcher plants (Jungle planet)
    Moskoe - after the great whilrpool and storm in an Edgar Allen Poe story (for a planet besieged by storms)

Of course there could be funny references in planet names but I dont tend to be as good at that kind of thing. Anyway hope this helps : )
  3. borbra

borbra New Member

Yes, thank you. Even though it was not the answer I thought I would get, it gave me a better idea of what name I should look for :)
    Though I will not reveal where I'm gonna look, nor the name I'm sending in. It wouldn't be fun to do that :p
  4. mortiferusrosa

mortiferusrosa Member

I just used my username... although wishing I tacked a Prime on the end of it... oh well...
  5. Causeless

Causeless Member

I thing prefixes and suffixes like that are automatically added, juding from a forum post from neutrino. If you added "prime" on the end you could get weird things like "mortiferusrosa prime prime", especially if each name isn't manually checked.
  6. Consili

Consili Member

Yeah I recall neutrino saying much the same thing, I think it was during one of the live streams? in any case I decided to make my names reasonably short given that.
  7. Yourtime

Yourtime Member

well I was really unsure what to take, I mean... you have to know what you want:

Do you want that people recognize you outside of the game that you were backer?
    Do you want that it sounds awesome or more realistic
    I myself thought, well my username would be good, my real full name as credit name.
    My second try for the planet name was Admiral Asteriod. :D
  8. Alcheon

Alcheon Member

Prime, secundus, tertius etc...
    minor, major, etc..
    1,2,3 etc...
    A, B, C etc...

what else?
  9. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Roman Numerals.