[WIKI] Comments, Bug Reports, Ideas, To Do List...

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 General Discussion' started by Col_Jessep, June 19, 2010.

1. broncoburns

broncoburns New Member

Anyone know how to get achievements for the wikia? It would encourage more people to contribute and current contributors to contribute more! According the Brink Wiki, your wiki may have to be chosen (by who? and why?) and only the admin can create the achievements. At least that's what I understand. A quick 5 minute Google search didn't yield any results, but anyone with more free time/knowledge than me is welcome to look into this further.
  2. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

Hmm, seems they have installed some new plug-in. I'll look into that on the weekend if I find the time.
  3. Col_Jessep

Well, I searched for about an hour on the community wikia for any information and there is very little information. It seems to be still in beta. It's also hasn't been rolled out yet officially and with good reason it seems, some guys were reporting bugs. I think it might be better to wait until they have ironed out the problems.
  4. Banditz

Banditz New Member

I just realized theres no bots page, but then again, we dont have very much info on the bots, and i have no idea how to use a wiki... id be happy to learn,though.
  5. Col_Jessep

I set up the Bots pages, a new infobox template, uploaded the pics, added everything to the navigation and tagged the categories. Broncoburns, I added the pictures to your new page as well and set all links to point to the new pages. Nice work btw!

I'm glad to see you guys have been busy and added new content, keep up the good work! I'll try to set up a page for turrets later.

If you need anything else or if I messed something up please let me know. :D
  6. broncoburns

broncoburns New Member

Hey Jessep can you add the Announcer to the main navigation thing on the left of the page? I tried, but I think the admin of the site is the only one that can edit that thing. Tanks :)
  7. Col_Jessep

Done. Thanks, I completely missed that.
  8. TheJustinIsALie

TheJustinIsALie New Member

The Wiki is looking great, I feel a little bad that the only thing I have helped with was the fav icon. Wish I could have been more helpful. Keep up the good work guys.
  9. Col_Jessep

Don't feel bad Justin! Editing the wiki is supposed to be fun, something you enjoy. I feel more comfy in an image editor as in a text editor as well. But I really enjoy testing new features and fiddeling with some code on occasion (although I'm a really bad coder :D). However, if you want to give it a try just type a few sentences in some article. Every word counts. No worries, you can't break anything.

Speaking of code, I added a countdown on the main page. It's crude but it works. I hope it can be reused for DLC and similar occasions later.
  10. broncoburns

broncoburns New Member

Yeah don't worry Justin. If you have the time don't be afraid to just add little things to the Wiki. I started out making little corrections (fixing typos, entering the skills for the pros we knew, etc) and worked my way up to creating pages. The best part is that it's not much more difficult. It's all editing and the interface makes it so you don't have to worry about being able to code. You are given templates to use and nifty buttons that add videos and images. And if ya screw something up, we can go back to an earlier version of the page or just re-edit what you did wrong. Not a big deal at all.
  11. Col_Jessep

Things are looking up for the achievements on our wiki:
    http://community.wikia.com/wiki/User_bl ... to_the_top

And guess what Justin, we will probably need a bunch of nice looking pictures to customize our leaderboard. :D

The feature is not yet implemented in our wiki but I guess it won't be long now.
  12. TheJustinIsALie

Be sure to tell me when they are working so I can have a look.

What kind of achievements would they have, Is it just make an x number of edits?
  13. Col_Jessep

I just contacted the WIkia team and asked them to add the feature to our MNC wiki.

There are several different achievements, you can check some of them out on the Avatar wiki. You get achiements for edits (of course) but also for all kinds of different activities. There are achievements for uploading pictures too, so it shouldn't be long before you start collecting your first bunch of achievements... :D

Btw, only admins can edit certain things on the wiki, achievements will be one of them. I would be happy to share that responsibility with you guys. Volunteers, please step forward!

You will probably think: ZOMG, I have no experience with wikis, I can't be an admin. No worries, being a wiki admin is easy compared to any other web related systems. Most stuff is just like editing an article or uploading a pic. Most features in Wikia/MediaWiki are either self-explanatory or there is a good documentation somewhere. It's not witchcraft and you don't need to know HTML or CSS. (Although it would be great, especially if you know Java Script, that's kind of a blind spot for me atm).

All you need is the determination to find and read the manual and to help others if they contact you via your talk page. If you run into any problems let me know and I'll take a look at it. If you break something by accident, just roll the site back to the last version, all fixed.

Sounds like a lot of work? Trust me, it's fun! Nothing feels better than getting something difficult working at the end of the day.
  14. TheJustinIsALie

Should we get started on the achievement pics? What size are they?
  15. Col_Jessep

I think they will be all 82x82 or 90x90 but you will have to take the border into account when you make them. I think the wiki will overlay the borders on our customized pics. Some examples from the Avatar wiki:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

You can check if the leaderboards arre available on this page:
    http://mondaynightcombat.wikia.com/wiki ... eaderboard

Once they add it to our wiki the error should disappear. :)
    You can already make an account Justin. You will need one to edit the achievements.
  16. Col_Jessep

Achievements are up. Justin, here is some info on the pics:
    Please make an account and leave a message on my talk page:
    http://mondaynightcombat.wikia.com/inde ... ection=new

I'm too tired (and too drunk) to make any changes atm... :D
  17. TheJustinIsALie

So achievements have to have that border around them? I was thinking we should of had achievements similar to the MNC achievements.
  18. Col_Jessep

Yup, the border can't be changed atm. That's the price you pay for having a user-friendly system, you have less things you can customize. Who knows, maybe we can trick it or they change it later so that you can edit it. I don't think it's possible to change it atm. The whole thing seems to be php based which means it's on the server and we don't have access. That's the one thing I have trouble getting used to at Wikia. At work I always have root level access when I need it.

No matter, lets get this show on the road, I want to test the new feature... :)