Recommended Specs

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by sabetwolf, October 20, 2012.

1. aleran

aleran New Member

I noticed the implication that the server would have more of a load on it than the client. (which makes sense) I was wondering, with your intended design, is my old Q6600 w/4gb of ram going to be adequate as the server for a 12 player group? or are we looking at a design that wants more "typical" server hardware?
  2. asgo

asgo Member

to be on the safe side for the server:
    http://i.top500.org/system/177556
  3. thapear

thapear Member

Oh come on. Why do you people keep asking. IT'S TOO EARLY TO TELL.
  4. alfalfacat

alfalfacat New Member

I'm not asking for numbers, though I just want to say I hope it will be well-threaded.
    Old SupCom could scale pretty well with 3rd party software, and I'm hoping PA will too.
  5. thapear

thapear Member

Old SupCom could only really use 1 core for the simulation, there's no 3rd party software that changed that. They want PA to be able to use an unlimited amount of cores (or at least, many), so on a quad core CPU you'd (theoretically) be able to host 4 times the amount of units with the same clock speed as you could on SupCom.

I say theoretically because while multithreading can be done really well, there's never a 100% speed increase per core. Also, there'll be more features in PA, which also use CPU time.
  6. qwertos

qwertos New Member

I'm wondering how easy it would be to get PA working on a 512 node cluster of the things. :D