Development Question

Discussion in 'Uber Entertainment Discussion' started by monotykamary, October 12, 2012.

1. monotykamary

monotykamary New Member

I would like to ask what programs do you use to develop your games. I noticed that in the Planetary Annihilation that the developers were using Sublime Text. In addition to that, what other programs do you use, especially for:

- 3D Program to make the Gameplay Visualization
    - Program to design the game models
    - Program to edit your videos
  2. cake141

cake141 New Member

I think they use a pc, but mac is also pretty popular
  3. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Good tools don't make a good developer.

If you want to learn how to make games; just start with Notepad. When you know what's wrong with Notepad, you'll be able to spot any good code editor on your own.
  4. turpiini

turpiini Member

For modeling, at least one of the tools they use is 3ds max.

[​IMG]

That is not very helpful, is it? :?
  5. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Sublime Text is a text editor. If several members of Uber use it, I'm happy to take it on faith that it has many useful features to coding.

The thing is; when you write code, you do everything in your head. You need to have a pretty good mental picture of how it's going to work in the end. Which is totally unlike 3D modelling - which you can see partially complete works in front of you for reference and feedback.

There's no programs/editors that can help you form better ideas for code. There's only programs that allow you to go from mind to text faster. If you don't have the code in your mind, no amount of programs or tools or features is going to be able to help you. It's something that comes solely from experience.

Basically, just start programming. If you do that, at some point you will come to a point where you want the computer to, say, spellcheck your variables. Or to tell you when you're accidentally multiplying potatoes and firetrucks. If you're not at that point, then Notepad will do a brilliant job for you. It's free, and you already have it installed.
  6. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

3D Studio Max for modeling and animation
    zBrush for sculpting high detail for Normal Maps
    3D Coat for unwrapping
    xNormal for baking out Normal maps from high res models to low res models
    Sony Vegas for video editing
    After Effects for video post work
    Photoshop for concepts, textures
    Visual Studio, Sublime, NotePad++ for coding/editing
  7. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Notepad++ for the win.

Won some more respect Uber. Not that you needed any more to go with the shtack you got.
  8. uberjustice

uberjustice Uber Alumni

I've seen SciTE and Emacs used around here, too.