1. novacvii

novacvii New Member

A while ago I asked you guys if you think this game would run on my old laptop incase I didnt get a job before the game comes out. You said it should. I can play Supreme Commander on it just fine on low..
    Anyway I was wondering do you think I will be able to run the game?

Here are my specs.

[​IMG]
  2. elexis

elexis Member

You have a Core 2 duo and you are using integrated graphics. Every game that works you should be thanking your deity.
  3. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Exactly this.

Your computer is an old laptop. It should be for browsing forums and smashing out Word documents. It should not be for gaming.
  4. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Haha, Last time I saw specs like that, It was on a laptop that was almost 15 years old. Lolz

So to answer your question, No. Your Laptop wont run it.

Try Total Annihilation =p
  5. Consili

Consili Member

I'm surprised that Supreme Commander can run on that set up. If it can run Supreme Commander that is great.

It is my estimation however that even if Planetary Annihilation is extremely well optimised it would require at least something that would run Supreme Commander really well if not more. Certainly something more than what you have there :(
  6. robinvanb

robinvanb New Member

Why are you running windows 7 on it? Total waste of your resources.
    Anyways, likethe other ones said: doubtfully that you would be able to play, and cheers to be able to play SupCom!
  7. rick104547

rick104547 Member

If you want to play it on a laptop then it has to be a new laptop. Not a old one that struggles even with supreme commander.

Ye you might be able to run the game but i dont suppose its playable.
  8. novacvii

novacvii New Member

Thanks guys. I will be upgrading! :D
  9. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

Well, since the game will be scalable based on hardware, and no specs have even been announced, I would definitely wait before upgrading. If you upgrade now, by the time the game comes out, there will probably be something better for the same price you paid to upgrade now.
  10. elexis

elexis Member

Whatever you buy, make sure it has dedicated graphics.
  11. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Listen to Hostile there, he's bang on the money.

Wait until you know what you'll need.
  12. ultramarine777

ultramarine777 Member

Wait until the minimum requirements are released. I would recommend upgrading though. Its expected that this game will be large scale and require quite a bit.
  13. Max1045

Max1045 New Member

If you can afford to drop $1100$-1500, a Toshiba Qosmio would be an excellent choice for gaming. If you need something cheaper, a Toshiba Gateway would be a good option, and should still be a fairly good computer for running PA, though probably at reduced settings. However, like they've said, wait until they release more information on minimum requirements.
  14. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Why are pc players elitists with their penis-size-based-on-computer-power talk?

I will speak less egotistically OP, I think a dual core is a good start, but you will probably need more RAM than that. Sadly, my laptop isn't a dual core but has more ram than that.

I suggest a ram upgrade. Also, integrated graphics on a laptop is always getting better, but it really isnt ideal. That being said, I lowered my graphics enough on SMNC to run it smoothly. So it should be possible to play PA semi-choppy if you are lucky, else definitely possible with RAM upgrade.

If it doesn't run, decide whether you want to spend 1/3 the money on a mild fix that you will have to get a new computer eventually, or spending the whole saved up chunk on a new computer that will last a lot longer than just RAM. If it were me, id probably get the RAM, but im a cheapo.
  15. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

OP asked for recommendations about his laptop for PA. PA has not released any requirements. Even upgrading his RAM might do nothing if what he needs is a new computer. OP needs to wait until PA comes out. For all we know he can play it fine as is with minimum units. Case in point, no one knows, and upgrading now is not a good idea/waste of money.
  16. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

His hardware is ancient. Minimum requirements mean nothing. He needs to upgrade.
  17. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Well thats an obvious fact. I had a machine like that once... Its been in my garage collecting dust for nearly half a decade XD
  18. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

Supreme Commander is all about the CPU. The graphics can get pretty draining at times (zoomed in on big battles for instance), but it's really a CPU-driven game. It's fair to assume that PA will be similar, and also that a Core 2 Duo won't cut it. I say that because that was the bare minimum for SupCom.

Also it's not really feasible to upgrade laptops except for the RAM. If money permits, the OP should get a proper desktop PC with a decent Intel processor and a 1GB+ graphics card. But if the upgrade is only so you can play PA, wait until the specs are known and you will get better bang for your buck.
  19. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

If you're buying a computer for the game you want, always wait until the game comes out. By that time, old technologies will be cheaper, new technologies will be available, and in general you'll get more bang for your buck.

As for whether your laptop will work, I wouldn't be surprised if it did. PA is supposed to be pretty scalable, so there's a chance you may get lucky. But still, you'll probably want a machine that can handle the more heavy-duty stuff, like huge, multi-planet battles.

So just be patient and wait. In the computer world, that's always the best choice.
  20. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

It's probably going to work, at least in terms of computing power.

Them demand on the CPU is rather low, since we talk about a server / client model, that means the server already has performed all the expensive calculations including physics, the client only displays whats left. This is unlike SupCom where every single PC, even in LAN games, had to simulate the FULL game independently.

Graphics isn't that much of an problem either, the game will have an ridiculous wide range of LoD, so there will always be some level of detail even such antiquated graphic cards can render fluently. Ok, it won't exactly look "nice" as the scene would lack high poly models, every kind of particle engine and shadows, but it should still be sufficient.

Now whats NOT going to work? Singleplayer. Your PC hasn't enough computational power to handle the actual simulation, because after all, your CPU is about 4 times weaker then modern CPUs - per core.

There is only one single reason why the game could refuse to run on your system after all: Your GPU lacks some features which are used in every modern graphics engine. Unless Uber manages to implement a fall-back for you, the game simply won't start after all.