Ring Worlds would have been really cool in this game..

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by kuroth, September 25, 2012.

1. shinseitom

shinseitom Member

Ok, so you're not talking a walkable surface, but an orbital megastructure for automated defense or troop movement. Could definitely be cool.
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I though we were talking about a build able surface in similar vein to the metal worlds, not as build able structures.

That wouldn't make sense from the setting, the commanders are not constructor machines (Other then technically), they are automated kill-bots.
  3. jurgenvonjurgensen

jurgenvonjurgensen Active Member

Actually, the commanders are likely to be the only units which aren't automated.
  4. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I would imagine that they aren't doing this via a form of free will, but it is up to some interpretation considering the lack of lore and such.

have a good day.
  5. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

I don't like the idea of a ring world. To build a factory on a ring is boring. Because a ring is boring. There were a few maps for TA which were like a single line. It was terrible to let the tanks drive all the way down or up. A circle is not better.

And I don't like the other stuff too. An orbital station or something like that.

I like the trailer very much. And I would prefer if it remains that the commander or another unit is simply fired up into space and lands on another planet. Everything in between should not take place.
  6. doctorzuber

doctorzuber New Member

I don't think most people fully appreciate just how ridiculously large a ring world is.

Think about that for a second. The circumference of the earth is 24,901 miles. So by stretching that out into a ring world you have made something with a usable surface area approximately 24,000 times larger than that of the Earth. The sheer scale of even a single ring world in a system is likely to cause your poor pathetic computers CPU to asplode. You don't even want to think about the math of a full on dyson sphere, because that is many many times larger still.

Even if by some miracle a home computer could handle that, which I highly doubt, You're talking about a single world that is so large that you are more likely to die of extreme old age than you are of actually locating your enemy to shoot at him.

Are you sure you really want something that absurdly large?
  7. jurgenvonjurgensen

jurgenvonjurgensen Active Member

Have you seen the trailer? At the scale the game operates at, I wouldn't be surprised if planetary orbits were only a few hundred kilometers in radius.
  8. theavatarofwar

theavatarofwar New Member

According to that picture posted earlier in this thread, it looks like what is the work of multiple generations of people, and the resources of an entire small moon, is easily destroyed by a small gunship built in a month.

I can just imagine that meeting to discuss its destruction. "Hey Bob, remember when I said lets build a million gunships, and you said no, lets build a giant ring that won't be finished until our great grandchildren are born?"
  9. skwibble

skwibble Member

I really like the idea, but how to integrate it into the solar system as a whole, given the idea is to encapsulate a star?
    I wonder if it would make for a great 'short game' mode idea, in that one option (probably for beginners, or just quick, more traditional, simpler fun) for a player would be to play on a ringworld rather than a solar system.
    It would be large enough (although not quite Niven size) that weapons usually used for interplanetary attacks would be useful/necessary to attack across the ring.
    Of course, I wouldn't want to detract from the developers' more important work (game mechanics and balance come first!) but perhaps, seeing as it would be just a 2-d map in effect, it would take less work than some other ideas.
  10. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

11. rockobot

rockobot Member

Giant space mobius strip. Two commanders start right next to each other but are literally on opposite sides of the planet.

I don't think it has any chance in getting in but since we're suggesting just about anything that comes to mind regardless if it makes sense or not, there you go.