Graphics in Planetary Annihilation. What it will look?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by WarStalkeR, September 14, 2012.

1. uomoz

uomoz New Member

I think they'll sacrifice details\textureRes for bigger environments. I completely agree if they decide to walk in this direction, as I'm not a big fan of developers trying desperately to emulate real-like details, usually utterly failing.
  2. commdor

commdor New Member

That's pretty much what they said in the countdown/party broadcast. This is a smaller budget game and they're trying to do as much as they can within that budget, hence choosing a more simplistic art style over high-definition detail. Graphics are expensive.
  3. keinash

keinash New Member

This was bothering me for quite a while also, because I really want the graphics to be like in promotional video. I want to feel like I'm playing the game when I'm playing the game. All those realistic textures always suck, too hard to understand what is happening in the game. I don't play the game to see some awesomely realistic graphics, I play the game for fun and fun does not require good graphics.
  4. drbrackman

drbrackman New Member

Of course graphics is not the most important thing in a game. But I'd prefer more realistic graghics as far as the budget allows. At least the colors of water, units and space should be fixed. When you don't look at the open space from the surface of a planet, but from far away, it should appear black instead of blue!
  5. doctorzuber

doctorzuber New Member

I know this may be a shocking realization for some of you, but there are these things called RIVERS which are found on most planets. They are filled with water, but are not wide enough for naval ships to navigate typically. Shocking, I know.

More seriously. I don't mind the swirls. I think they lend a nice artistic style to things. I wouldn't necessarily like to see them on every single planet, but I'm perfectly okay with them still being there in the final product. Don't take your terrain shapes so seriously.
  6. deloi

deloi New Member

Personaly i would also like the water to look realistic but i dont mind the colors of the robots and explosions looking slightly cartoonish (like in the video).

But on a more design point of view (The design of the units), Me personaly like the simple style in the video.

More details are great and all, but they arent realy nessesary in this kind of game, if were gonna have any hope of getting those "40 player games" the units must be very simple in design (Being blocky, they can still have a rotating turret on a tank and such).
  7. zloalien

zloalien New Member

I think Total Annihilation was a perfect balance between a toy and realistic display units. The style robots and buildings that I saw in the demo video I liked, but the image of the planet would like to see more realistic.
  8. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

I really like the style in the video, it's bold and chunky and it is easy to see what's going on. One of the issues with SupCom was that the ground textures were relatively low-res, giving the effect that the units were tiny. I hope this is not repeated.

Also re swirly peninsulas, it would make pathfinding a real pain so we should ideally have more traditional coasts.
  9. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
  10. captainshootalot

captainshootalot Member

''Generals 2'' with Frostbite 2 F2P, ugh

Am I one of the few who does like cartoonish, fun graphics is games? Like Age of Empires Online?
  11. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

Not the only one.

If I wanted to watch realistic things, I'd go outside.
  12. dumblediner

dumblediner New Member

Now I don't want to look offensive or anything.
    But..
    God damn. :lol:
  13. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

remember kids, they aren't shooting for realism.... They are shooting...for awesome.

Personally, I liked everything in the concept video :lol:
  14. gmorgan

gmorgan Member

It'll look like giant rocks smashing into bigger rocks with fires burning across the surfaces of entire worlds. Giant robots will get flung like flees from the ground as the crust of vast worlds is cracked like an egg hit with a spoon.

At least this is how I imagine it. :mrgreen:
  15. ultramarine777

ultramarine777 Member

I share your enjoyment for cartoony games, however keep in mind that this game is not exactly cartoony. It's just simplified with less clustered details. Not by any matters cartoony. Btw I honestly thought Age of Empires Online is mediocre.