Ring Worlds would have been really cool in this game..

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by kuroth, September 25, 2012.

1. kuroth

kuroth New Member

Have not seen it listed but would be really cool... Like a very High Tech that would allow you to build a Ring world.
  2. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

There was a thread on them not 48 hours ago...
  3. jurgenvonjurgensen

jurgenvonjurgensen Active Member

They're not actually a very good idea. Artillery that can shoot even a third of the way across a normal map can hit anywhere and ignores terrain.
  4. shinseitom

shinseitom Member

Wait, what kind of ringworld are we talking about? Niven or Halo?

It would probably be easy to do on a Halo-style random floating ring, but a Niven one would be pretty damn large even with the scale this game will probably have. I couldn't see anything but solar system arty/rockets (which could hit just about anything anyway, maybe that's what you're talking about?) shooting from one side to the other.

Not that I'm for it or against. They already have their hands full right now.
  5. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

That's actually a good point.

Geometrically, they're the same. But the Halo rings are on a tiny scale compared to Ringworld's. Anything that can shoot from one side of Ringworld to the other can easily be considered equivalent to interplanetary launches.
  6. erastos

erastos Member

That's putting it fairly mildly... Niven's Ringworld had an inner surface area approximately equal to 3 million Earth sized planets. Would make for a fairly long game.
  7. aleran

aleran New Member

As for building the things....

Given that estimates of the material can be found on a variety of blogs across the internet, we take a poll of them and the average guess usually comes out to 1.8 to 2.2 masses of neptune (2.6E+26 kg)

yeah, if your game goes long enough to have stored that much metal, it's ceased to be a RTS, and has long since passed into economy simulation.
  8. shinseitom

shinseitom Member

You guys do realize this game won't have anything like real size planets/distances right? That's why I said "even with the scale this game probably have".

It would still be extremely large, but it would not have the surface area equivalent to 3 million earths and would not take that much material.
  9. skynet464

skynet464 New Member

I'd rather have a ring that you can build around a world than a ring world.
  10. shinseitom

shinseitom Member

Sorta like an encapsulating astroid where you walk on the inside? Or more as a platform, where you walk on the outside?
  11. skynet464

skynet464 New Member

No, like as in an orbiting defense platform.
  12. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Then what would it matter if it were a ring?
  13. skynet464

skynet464 New Member

Because it would surround the entire planet.
  14. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Ahh, I suppose that could be fun.

But I am unsure, might a wold with a asteroid ring already fill that purpose?

But it might be a fun thing for a level set on a huge metal world as the only planet in the system.
  15. jurgenvonjurgensen

And how would that help, besides being really expensive?
  16. skynet464

skynet464 New Member

[​IMG]
    It would look kinda lack this, only it would be bristling with weapons.

EDIT: It would be used for defense against things like missiles and asteroids.
  17. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

But couldn't a network of satellites or ground based interceptors provide the same defense for far less cost?
  18. jurgenvonjurgensen

What menchfrest said. (Well, with satellites, since a ring does outperform ground based facilities in a number of ways)

Also: Wait, that thing's not in orbit, which defeats the entire point of an orbital ring (anchoring point for Space Elevators) entirely, since it doesn't actually allow moving mass into GEO without expending reaction mass.
  19. skynet464

skynet464 New Member

I said it would look like it, it would not have those elevators.
  20. aleran

aleran New Member

Why not? Orbital elevators would be a key strategic structure if they were present in the game. I for one would love to see their inclusion.