Could one of the Devs/Admins Sticky this.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by kuroth, September 25, 2012.

1. kuroth

kuroth New Member

Early estimated system requirements?
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

WAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to early to tell.

Mike
    Last edited: September 25, 2012
  3. FlandersNed

FlandersNed Member

I came to this thread expecting something amazing.
    WHY DID YOU HAVE TO RUIN THIS FOR ME.
    WHYYYYYYYYY
  4. elexis

elexis Member

A screen with at least 1 working pixel.
    A power supply (a slave pedalling a bike should suffice)
    Mouse OR Touchpad OR Kinect OR Neural Transmitter
    PTTP (pigeon-to-the-premises internet, preferably dedicated)
  5. skynet464

skynet464 New Member

Yeah....... I don't think they know that yet.
  6. comham

comham Active Member

Sticky this instead.
  7. thapear

thapear Member

You left out a few As.
  8. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Fixed.

Mike
  9. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Here's what we know so far. You'll need a monitor and some form of computational device that can display to said monitor. Also, probably some kind of input device.

I can guarantee you it will run on a computer running Windows 7 64bit with a an Ivy Bridge i7-3770k, a NVidia GeForce GTX 690, 32GB of 2800hz DDR3 RAM, a 512GB SATAIII SSD, and a suitable power supply at resolutions of at least of 800x600. Also, it won't run on your Commodore 64, Atari ST, or Apple II (not even the IIgs).

Beyond that it's still too early to tell. We have a general idea of what we're going to be aiming for, ie: playable on something made in the last few years and not requiring a top end system for a game size of as many units as we can on whatever becomes our generic game area size. Real numbers, we don't have them.
  10. nekochild

nekochild New Member

Out of curiosity, how much would a rig like that cost to put together? Once I get home from this deployment in about three weeks I'm planning on building a computer from scratch with a 2k or so budget.
  11. FlandersNed

FlandersNed Member

To build that your computer, you would need to hand in your soul to the devil in order to receive the amount of money needed to make this computer.
  12. thefirstfish

thefirstfish New Member

That computer would probably cost a fair bit, but it's pretty likely that a 2k (USD I presume?) self built computer will play PA unless you spend all your money on fans and lights or something.
  13. robinvanb

robinvanb New Member

With a 2k budget you will come close to that.

Still if you spend your 2k on good parts (and not just the aesthetics) you will be able to play PA.
  14. aleran

aleran New Member

That's a little extreme. Even $1500 should get you a good gaming pc these days. That's what I spent on mine and it comfortably does everything I've asked it to so far.
  15. elexis

elexis Member

Yeah, basically you could get a rig that is 10% less powerful for 40% less cost. That's just the way hardware works these days.
  16. thefirstfish

thefirstfish New Member

If I was building a computer (base unit only) right now as a good solid gaming machine to last for a few years I'd probably look at a budget of about £600-800 GBP. I guess that would be equivalent to about $1000-1400 USD as parts seem to be slightly cheaper there on average.

Spending a lot of time on finding the best prices, might be able to reduce that by a further 10%.
  17. thapear

thapear Member

Also, in 1.5 years you'll (in theory) be able to buy a PC that's twice as fast for the same money. So waiting until the game comes out will probably help with selecting your new hardware.
  18. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

That's basically top of the line across the board specs PC, which happens to be $3000+ in total for just the parts, and that doesn't include a monitor or even a mouse pad (though you do usually get a free game with the video card).

Honestly you can get a pretty low end gaming computer for around $600 with Windows and a monitor if you want to. It won't necessarily be able to play games at high resolutions or with maxed out settings, but it will play almost any modern game at playable frame rates. Whether it'll play PA or not is of course a question I can't answer, and I wouldn't necessarily recommend getting a system like that if you can afford to go a little higher just for making sure you can keep playing other new games for more than a year after you buy it. Just bumping up to $900 can almost double your PC's performance.
  19. elexis

elexis Member

Also the vast majority of games haven't increased much in terms of spec requirements in the last 5+ years, nor will they until the next gen of consoles (wii U doesn't count).

^this is also why there are several PC-exclusive games that are notorious or crippling machines, its in comparison to everything else that is ported to/from consoles.
  20. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

For the last few years most PC games have been console games with higher res textures or games specifically not targeting the high end. That's kind of where the "will it run Crysis" jokes came from as Crytek were one of the few really trying to push PCs for a while.

However, we're nearing the end of the current console generation, the next consoles are going to be a decent step up in performance over the current generation which means the games for the PC are likely going to be a step up as well. There are also a number of companies who have been showing off their so called "next gen" engines, some of which may not even run on the new consoles but be truly PC only.