What sort of polls do we want on the PA forum?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by eukanuba, September 22, 2012.

?

What sort of polls would you like to see on the Planetary Annihilation forum?

1. Polls about the sort of polls that we should be focussing on

10 vote(s)
    27.0%
  2. Polls about things that are so far down the line as to be irrelevant at this stage

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  3. Polls about Duran Duran

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  4. Polls about what I should have for my dinner

14 vote(s)
    37.8%
  5. Other polls (please specify by making your own poll)

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  6. Polls about things entirely outside the scope of the game

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Polls about really bad ideas made by people who don't know how to tie their own shoelaces

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  1. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

It's becoming evident that we need a clear and defined approach to polls, a roadmap if you will. So that we can make sure that the focus of the polls maintains the undoubtable value of having a poll about everything, please mark here what sort of polls you are most interested in. If you are not personally interested in polls then please ask your significant other their opinion, or failing that your dog.
  2. zachb

zachb Member

The one good use for a poll I have seen is whenever someone makes a suggestion to have a "Good idea - Bad idea" poll. That way you can let them feel your displeasure in three clicks rather than having to type out why their idea is dumb.
  3. nateious

nateious Active Member

All of the above? :)
  4. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I'll make a poll about my dinner soon, I cant decide on my own Q_Q
  5. SwiftBlizz

SwiftBlizz Member

Polls about this poll? LMAO! :twisted:
  6. japporo

japporo Active Member

Madness, eukanuba, madness! You can't just blindly rush into creating a poll about polls without first having a poll to see what options people would want in a poll about polls first. Everybody knows that!
  7. insanityoo

insanityoo Member

POLLS FOR THE POLL GOD!!
  8. galaxy366

galaxy366 Member

Yo dawg, we heard you like polls so we made a poll about polls in which you can choice which polls you want.

/best thread yet :lol:
  9. nlspeed911

nlspeed911 Member

Sigh.

Everything. Uber can use 'good' polls, and hey, if there are some 'bad' ones amongst the 'good' ones, who cares? No reason to go on an anti-poll crusade.
  10. sacrificiallamb

sacrificiallamb Member

I think there should be a vote off the user option added to every poll so if someone post some thing really stupid they could get muted (or band). I think this could reduse the number of idiots and trolls. it's hard to tell them apart but why would you need to.
  11. elexis

elexis Member

I really hope that whoever suggested putting polls on the internet is incarcerated because of it.
  12. sacrificiallamb

sacrificiallamb Member

When I read that thought of this

http://www.bash.org/?4281
    Code:
    <Zybl0re> get up
    <Zybl0re> get on up
    <Zybl0re> get up
    <Zybl0re> get on up
    <phxl|paper> and DANCE
    * nmp3bot dances :D-<
    * nmp3bot dances :D|-<
    * nmp3bot dances :D/-<
    <[SA]HatfulOfHollow> i'm going to become rich and famous after i invent a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet
    There needs to be a way to punish idiocy. may be i'm just a grumpy old man now
  13. TheLambaster

TheLambaster Active Member

I don't get how some people don't understand how important polls are, especially for the devs...

That attitude is actually a stupid one.

Do polls hurt you? No, they don't.
    Are some of them silly? Yes, there are silly ones.
    Are polls generally useful? Yes, generally polls are useful.

And this is not my opinion but a matter of fact. So, why don’t you stfu about how bad polls are?
  14. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

A matter of fact, eh? Indisputable, cold, scientific fact?

I'd like to see some proof of this claim of yours.

Polling is useful, when done in a controlled and structured manner. Right now, it's just bedlam and chaos. Every kid, and his retard friend, are posting polls. Polls that have been asked before.

NUMEROUS

• TIMES
      • BEFORE.

How does this help the developers? I don't think it does. I think it does the opposite; I think they now have to waste time reading over repeated topics, where they won't learn anything new from the community.
  15. nlspeed911

nlspeed911 Member

I really don't get it. The more polls the merrier. Some are silly, yes - but who cares? The vast majority is good, and there's really no reason to go on an anti-poll crusade... Is there?
  16. TheLambaster

TheLambaster Active Member

I'd like to call you a smartass now... but I don't want to get rude, so I won't.
  17. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

It should be evident what people want polls on, based on the results of this poll.

Maybe you shouldn't be forum police. The forum police don't even want to be forum police.

Xept Hudson and Jessep. One lives entirely off banning you, the other lives entirely off of locking your threads (hopefully before the other one bans you).
  18. sacrificiallamb

sacrificiallamb Member

Polls may be a good way to get the lurkers to express an opinion but it's hard to call a mostly anonymous internet poll useful with the existence of trolls and people with no concept of what the devs intend this game to be, it's like taking a poll in an insane asylum.
  19. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

Who wants to be forum police? I'm just testing the waters to see if people want to hear all about my obsession with Simon Le Bon.
  20. elexis

elexis Member

Please show me one of those so-called "useful" polls.

Criteria:
    - Thread overall must be decent and on topic.
    - In relation to the topic it must make sense to have a poll. I would argue that the threads with people expression their incredibly detailed ideas don't really need a poll, as the poll is just yes no and its far better to read qualitative feedback than quantitative.
    - The poll must serve a purpose (this one doesn't)
    - Poll must not be multi-choice*
    - The poll must cover all possible opinions (see poll in weather thread, which lacks a "no weather" option)
    - Poll options must not be confusing (see here)
    - Poll must not include a random troll option (detracts from seriousness/credibility)
    - Wording of choices must not be biased to any one option (like this one, which is clearly biased towards the authors opinion in an attempt to get more people to agree with them)

I think I have seen only one such poll this year, and it wasn't on this forum**.

*The weather thread has a 10-option poll, with the ability to choose up to 9 of them. While this makes sense at a glance the end result is confusing and makes it look like a considerably large amount of people have selected "yes, I want this" compared to the single "do not want" option. The underlying issue is that the author is trying to answer 2 questions with the one poll; do you want weather and what types do you want. This can only be done through a combination of 2 polls which preferably should be in the same thread but forums aren't designed like that.

**The poll for this thread fails because it is a meta-poll. There are no troll options as the options have equal troll levels to the thread topic itself.