spaceships the simple way - not like in Homeworld

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by baudolino, September 18, 2012.

1. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

Warning: I am rambaly and wandering today, be forewarned:

I am also getting tired of the Navy in Space suggestions, because as stated by others earlier, there is so much is missed out by doing that. And jumping between cloning air navy or land is only going to bring marginal improvement for the game, and even less if you make space ignore physics or mechanics for other regimes like orbital or KEW's. i.e. Why can my space ships ignore gravity, but not my commander rocket or KEW's?

To be honest, I like homeworld because I don't feel it was 4x and used space, but homeworld is just natively to micro intensive in how you give move orders, and it ignores gravity. But SoaSE makes me cry despite how much I like it and I feel it was the Navy in space concept, and it left so much space related things out that I almost put it down right away.

So we're talking about two dedicated games that attempted to do what all these spaceship games asked for, and not in a manner that fits with the "use realistic-ish physics" spirit of TA/SC/PA. And so we're asking the devs to make a game within a game basically that has not yet been done to the level they are trying to make. If they do it, I want it to be a real effort on their part as an expansion, not a half baked thing that turns off people from PA.

TL;DR: I need lunch now
  2. timb991

timb991 New Member

So what if we simply make the spaceships customizable orbital units that can be moved from one planet to the next? Instead of making an entirely new 3d-space-combat layer.

Think: the asteroids from the visualization video, only now make it a frame on which you can 'hang' propulsion, energy plants, factories, rail guns for orbital bombardment or for troop drops, etc., and then be able to move him from one orbit into another orbit (à la the commander-with-his-rocket in the visualization video).

Don't know if this possibility came up yet.. Or what the objections were.. Seeing that I'm new to these forums..

Just throwing it out there ;)

-Tim
  3. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

Re: Galactic Conquest and idea for spaceships

I think you should start a poll to see if people want a poll about spaceships.