[Suggestion] 3rd resource, command points.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by stmorpheus, September 20, 2012.

1. thapear

thapear Member

Exactly, like interplanetary nukes (or KEWs), interplanetary unit cannons, interplanetary artillery.
  2. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

Also, location, if you have planets in different orbits, some transits are going to be worse depending on alignment. If you have more bases you can chose the one that is best at any time, instead of having to wait 'really long' (TBD, TBA, total spec) you pick base #3 that happens to have 'very short' transits.

Why else have other positions in SC or TA? Economy, logistics, forward fire bases, I'm sure we could find a few more reasons.
  3. thapear

thapear Member

This is assuming planets will even have orbits.
  4. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

This is not the direct confirmation I was looking for, but I think it implies orbits will be a part of the game

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=36009&p=537377&hilit=orbit#p537377
  5. wolfdogg

wolfdogg Member

What exactly would you use these "command points" for? I assume you mean to further your unit cap? I thought this discussion would have ended on page 1. Are you guys just humouring this suggestion?

As far as I can see the guys at Uber ultimately want you to be able to disable the unit cap.We're talking about massive scale battles, the likes of which have never before been seen in an RTS. Why oh why would you want to put a cap on the number of units you can build at any given time other than the maximum possible?

It goes completely against the core design criteria.
  6. stmorpheus

stmorpheus New Member

no, not for a unit cap. that would be disastrous. im thinking more for logistics abilities. perhaps the commander would have a number of strategic abilities that could be employed on the battlefield or use them to create experimental units. maybe have those points determine how many experimentals you can field. i dont want the game to be just units. it would get old if i am just sending wave after wave. we just dont know enough yet to get an idea of what they have in store for us. so for know its just speculation. i do have faith that there will be more complex strategies to use. as long as its not paper rock scissors i will be happy.
  7. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Still No.

Mike
  8. stmorpheus

stmorpheus New Member

Lol orange knight i just think you just dislike the words "command points". What if i changed it to "mana" instead! To me forged alliance is the penultimate of RTS games. I hope they don't "KISS" it too much. i want options, lots of options. In FA there were so many strategies you could use due to the unit abilities and war assets (like tactical missiles) that there was always some hole that you forget to plug and someone else would exploit. My biggest fear is that it will end up more like checkers than chess.

And for the record i dislike supcom2 with a passion, what were they thinking!
  9. KNight

Exactly, ditch this idea of 'mana' and keep the game more like FA, glad you agree.

Mike
  10. zordon

zordon Member

OP gets told no a lot, still tries to tell people its a good idea.
  11. Alcheon

Alcheon Member

the last thing i want is a planet composed entirely of pylons :(
  12. stmorpheus

stmorpheus New Member

hey lets be fair, ive only had 1 really bad idea. i still think commands could be salvaged for some good use but im not married to it. i use the brute force method of idea generation. expect more, alot more.
  13. ultramarine777

ultramarine777 Member

While I do not agree having command points in PA, I will disagree with them being bad in Dawn of war, or at least in Dawn of war 1. Strategic points were awesome in Dawn of war 1 because it forced you to come out of a turteling strategy in order to go out and take resource and not only did these points provide resource, but as you upgraded the posts built on top of them, they would become armed and work as a defense outlook point. They were done horribly in dawn of war 2 though. I agree.
  14. Yourtime

Yourtime Member

we didnt say you are bad, we are only discussion about the idea itself and if we think its good or bad.
  15. Sylenall

Sylenall Member

Noooooo.

That's how I feel about it. No arbitrary, artificial limitations for me please. Your ability to manage economy and production should be the only thing "capping" you.
  16. wolfdogg

wolfdogg Member

What is the last of RTS games then? :D
  17. stmorpheus

stmorpheus New Member

supcom 2? lol
  18. stmorpheus

stmorpheus New Member

no, artificial unit caps are bad i think everyone agrees. The more i think about it, the more i don't want special abilities. the reason being it makes it difficult to plan. one of the things that i really enjoyed about supcom is how much importance was placed on intelligence gathering. Having powerful elements that you cannot gather intel on is a mistake. I do hope they put an emphasis on intel gathering in this game as well.
  19. KNight

This is exactly the sort of thing happened in SupCom2 with Research, most notably the ACUs.

Mike
  20. ascythian

ascythian Member

Works for Company of Heroes but if I wanted a CoH style game i'll play CoH.
    Maybe someone will make a new game in the future with that kind of thing in mind

Someone can always mod it in but for me I need some old time TA strategic warfare.