Sinking wreckage?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by ascythian, September 20, 2012.

1. ascythian

ascythian Member

Very important question.

Sinking wreckage [i.e ships and other naval things], will it make a return after a hiatus from the SupCom games [they sank but didn't produce reclaimable wreckage apart from a mod or two]?
  2. sturm532

sturm532 Member

I hope to see this as well

good for bringing it up

Cheerio :mrgreen:
  3. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

Yes, this is essential and should definitely be in the game.

As an FYI for those who gave up on Forged Alliance during the two years+ of version 3599, Forged Alliance Forever includes ship wreckage as standard and is now on version 3615 or something. If you liked FA but got bored of 3599, come and check out FAF - there are frequently over 400 players online and I believe the record is about 550. There is a ladder system that is much better than GPGNet's, the rating system is done on Trueskill rather than ELO so custom games count towards your rating, and there is built in support for several mods including the mighty BlackOps.

FA Forever also includes live replays, tutorials including build orders for all the 1v1 ranked maps, map vault and replay vault. It's as simple as could possibly be to get going, all you need to do is download the client from http://www.faforever.com and it will auto-patch up to the latest version and you are ready to go! It also features uPNP support so if you were having port forwarding problems with FA they go away as if by magic!
  4. japporo

japporo Active Member

I remember being shocked and disappointed the first time I saw a ship sink in SupCom and leave no wreckage behind. In TA, it was always nice to have wrecks to salvage after a battle to replenish my metal reserves.

Add me to the list of people who hope that naval wreckage is there in PA.
  5. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

We'll keep this in mind.
  6. mortiferusrosa

mortiferusrosa Member

Cool deal!
  7. sstagg1

sstagg1 Member

Awesome! With ships generally being an unrecoverable metal drain, I think they need to stick around for recovery in PA.

Could make water battles much more worthwhile due to all the metal that could be gained.
  8. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

you should try FAF, we now have navy wreckages^^
  9. paulzeke

paulzeke Member

wreckage would be awesome!
  10. crazycryodude

crazycryodude New Member

Wreckage should most definitely be allowed to sink, but not disappear. Subs are mentioned multiple times, why not have a sort of salvage sub that you can sweep though with after a battle and reprocess the destroyed hulls. Also, if physics and clipping could be applied to wrecks, that'd be awesome. Some sort of protracted battle over a particularly shiny water planet, with hundreds of wrecks, could have just piles of wrecks that sank on top of each other. Maybe even getting as extreme as breaking the surface. In fact, that many wrecks all over the place could be incentive alone to win the battle, and hopefully double the metal you put in. Would make naval battles a lot more invested and important.