Use PayPal money for hiring SORIAN

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by ghodan7, September 14, 2012.

?

Would the community like to have Sorian programming the AI of PA?

Poll closed September 18, 2012.
  1. Yes, put the paypal money into hiring Sorian.

46 vote(s)
    82.1%
  2. No, use paypal money for something else.

10 vote(s)
    17.9%
  1. lynchbread

lynchbread New Member

Lol I didn't now you were cruising the forums.

While your here, do you want to tell us what that "Secret unannounced project" that you and CT have mentioned? Lol
  2. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

It is still secret and is still unannounced :)
  3. KarottenRambo

KarottenRambo Member

How about accidantly announcing it? We could make it like this:

Randomguy: And whats up sorian? What are you currently working on?

Sorian(You): aww nothin, just continuing the work on KnC... eehh I mean unanounced game xy.
  4. lynchbread

lynchbread New Member

Lol, that would be hilarious.
  5. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

Let me think SupCom 3 ehhh?
    Make most sense for you.
    But i can take it as a secret information ;)
  6. wizzything

wizzything New Member

Breaking a NDA can get you into huge legal troubles.
  7. holmebrian

holmebrian New Member

would be intresting to have an ai like this
  8. rick104547

rick104547 Member

We want SORIAN AI!!
  9. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

I know its hard to understand that Sorian isnĀ“t with UBER (PA) yet.He cant split him himself into two parts and work on 2 project.(which i think its SupCom3).
    And UBER said that they dont use the extra money for anything known yet.
    So no Sorian. :((

But i would like to see Sorian (Super Intelegent) AI in PA.
  10. TheLambaster

TheLambaster Active Member

If sorian felt like it he could still do an AI mod for PA afterwards...
  11. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

I don't think so.

Someone asked if the release date maybe shifts now, because of all the new features. And Uber said that they will proberbly use the extra money to hire more people instead of moving the release date. This is what I have heard.

That's correct.
  12. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Yep, and that is the plan at the moment. A mod wont be the same as actually creating the AI in code, however.
  13. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Re: PUT paypal money in hiring SORIAN

They can't program good AIs in a Unreal Engine 3rd person tactical map control shooter.

They probably can program good AIs in their personally made engine for RTS (which they have made tons more of before).

Let's not compare apples and oranges.
  14. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

Hi Sorian!

I'd love if you could program the AI. Your AI felt more like a human player than every other AI I have ever played against. Not to mention that you gave her a 'voice' with chat.
  15. sokolek

sokolek Member

I got Sorian AI mod. It wasn't ground breaking. I would rather have Steven Polge on the team as AI contractor!!!
  16. ghodan7

ghodan7 New Member

Steven Polge made de AI for the unrealtournament games/engine?
    All FPS games credited on his name.

Sorian makes AI for RTS. Totally different ball game sir.
    His mod could only do so much because the core/the base of the ai is not his work in sc1.
    Supreme commander 2 AI is 100% his work if i am not mistaken.

Think whatever you want about sc2, but the AI is GOOD.
  17. nedstar

nedstar New Member

First of all I'd like to point out that I mean no disrespect to you Sorian, I got the utmost respect for what you've done with the AI mod for supcom1 as well as the base AI for supcom2.

The supcom2 AI really isn't that great. The AI does not counter defense at all and will keep attacking in the same manner, by throwing small groups at you.
    Occasionally, specially late game during cheating AI matches. The AI will simply hog all his units in his own base not using them.

He also doesn't care much about keeping his own units alive. I've seen the AI's acu run away from shields more often then not.
    The AI does not seem to focus on harassing resources and only becomes difficult at high cheating levels which sadly start lagging the game down during the end game and is only really difficult if you don't spam defenses.

I don't know how long Sorian got to work on the AI in supcom2 but I believe the AI is capable of so much more which I did hear him talk about during the livestream.
    So I reckon that's something he'd definitely would love to improve on for future games.

I don't expect human like AI in RTS games but I'd love to see an AI that adepts to what you do, not just spam the same unit type when it's clearly futile.
    AI loses interest when you find out there's a few basic easy ways to beat it and then the only way to make it more difficult is by adding in more cheating AI's, which is a lost cost performance wise unless all your friends pack an i5 or similar CPU.

With that being said, having played a fairly large amount of RTS games, supcom series do have among the best AI and I do greatly enjoy botstomps in them.
    Actually fighting the AI without using cheesy turret spam with shields makes for a great challenge albeit nigh impossible at maxed out levels.

I do hope PA goes the extra mile and gets more time allocated towards the AI so it can be truly great.
  18. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

@nedstar: Did you play SupCom 2 after the AI overhaul patch?

@ghodan7: The SupCom 2 AI is not 100% my work. Another engineer worked on the AI that was released with the retail game. I had the opportunity to work on the AI post release. You have to have patch 1.11 (I think, can't recall) or later to see any of my work.
  19. ghodan7

ghodan7 New Member

So the next GPG game will have 100% sorian AI he? :D

Do you have any spare time left? Would you have time to make an AI for Total Annihilation?
    Or would it not be beter then the Queller non cheating AI because of the base you have to work with?

( Queller AI has been updated to v17, : http://aicentral.tauniverse.com/ )
  20. JWest

JWest Active Member

Believe me, the AI in the most recent version of SupCom 2 is much better than it was at retail ;)

Uber would be wise to contract out the AI work to you, Sorian.