Smoke Bomb stops charges

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 Strategy and Tactics' started by Organous, December 3, 2010.

1. Organous

Organous Member

I've been avoiding the Assassin a lot for the past few weeks, and started to play it more once I found it to be my best Spunky Cola class. I've discovered now that if I fail to kill with my grapple against a Tank or Assault, simply using the Smoke Bomb can usually get me out of those instinctive charges they like to use against me. Has this always been the case? I realize it can't stop grabs, but somehow it always gets me out of charges.
  2. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

It has always been the case. You'll still take damage but you won't get thrown.
  3. Obsydianyte

Obsydianyte New Member

Funny you should mention this, because Rev taught me this technique just before the DLC came out.

I don't use it much because I'm so nimble at jumping out of the way (or angling myself so that when the charge hits me I'm against the wall so I don't get thrown out), though.

BUT if you time it JUST right, you won't take any damage at all!

The trick is, MASH the B button during a grapple (commonly from the face, since if you grapple from the back the Pro won't charge AT you if you survive) if you anticipate it won't kill. Immediately after the animation, you should smoke bomb.

How much damage you take while blocking the charge appears to be calculated by a "who pressed it first" manner. If you were late you take more damage, if you were first you take little damage, and I think if it's same time you take NO damage (as this has happened to me before in tests with Rev).

This technique can ALSO stop you from being pancaked.
    But that takes ridiculous timing.
  4. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

That.... should not be possible. Maybe lag made it look like you avoided a pancake?
  5. Shiny

Shiny New Member

That does seem a little odd. I've never seen an assasin use the smoke bomb to stop a charge before so im sure it's no big deal.
  6. Liefglinde

Liefglinde New Member

I do it ALL the time. ALL THE TIME :twisted:
  7. Shiny

Shiny New Member

Ahhhhh dont say that, it might make the devs fix it (I also wanna try this ;) )
  8. Obsydianyte

Obsydianyte New Member

Perhaps.
    It happened only once during testing. Any other time I would die, but I'd still be standing instead of flattened.

It was intended. They won't fix it.
  9. Shiny

Shiny New Member

Ahhh sweet (Goes to play game as Assassin)
  10. Im Hudson

Im Hudson New Member

Bolt was the first person who showed me this post title update (after spending awhile trying to make the assassin viable 1v1 against tanks like he and rev used to). I don't recall if he and rev discovered this together, but I always knew I was facing decent assassins when they continuously used Smoke bomb to cancel the CC portion of charge.
  11. obscurement

obscurement New Member

I've been avoiding the forums for months because it disintergrated into a bunch of standard forum bs, but this is a great tip!
  12. Manouso

Manouso New Member

I showed bolt.

After which we decided to keep it hush hush.
    Look how that worked out haha.
  13. Organous

Organous Member

Yeah, with the internet being what it is, it's hard to keep any secrets in gaming at this point. Apparently Alex Valle was able to do it once and take some high-level tournament with what is now called the Valle CC. Better for the community (and by extension, the game) to just make anything useful go public. Unfortunately, this only stops charges, since you can still be grabbed out of a smoke bomb.
  14. ManaCorporation

ManaCorporation New Member

Interesting! I'll have to give this a try as I'm starting out an assassin more often.
  15. Rev Rabies

Rev Rabies New Member

Nope, i pancaked an assassin and she blocked it with the smoke bomb, and i was jumping on her head
  16. Superchicken

Superchicken New Member

the smoke bomb animation also prevents damage from the minigun, assault rifle, smg, shotgun, grenade launcher, and everything else I've thrown at them. green down to red and.....oh, not dead! :lol:
  17. Rev Rabies

Rev Rabies New Member

for like a split second, they'll still kill ya if they're smart