Wow, there are a ton of BAD ideas here.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Tekcor, September 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tekcor

Tekcor New Member

Dear Uber,

Please stop reading these forums. They are overloaded with ideas that are WAY outside the scope of the game.

PA is suppose to be a spiritual successor to TA. TA is largely regarded as the best RTS of all time. TA did not have ridiculous micro-management features such as fuel, ammo, power grids, taunting, natural disasters, random events, partially broken units, and weather (to name a few). Even my own idea about bringing mines over from TA was a bad one in retrospect, as it too is too micro.

Please, worry about the macro game. Keep focus. Ignore most of the ideas on this forum. What is left out of the game is just as important as what goes into it. Remember, awesome, not realism.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go find my fireproof pants...
  2. thetishler

thetishler New Member

No offense, but you're throwing the baby out with the bathwater. There's dub ideas, but welcome to the internet! Uber's already shown a willingness to listen to some community suggestions (such as adding Linux support) while ignoring others that don't fit their vision (see: bigger units but no experimentals despite some asking for them). I'm going to trust Uber's good sense.

There's some downright brilliant ideas being suggested here (I particularly love the area reclaim shown in the Zero-K thread). You just gotta look for the diamonds in the rough - like Uber is doing.
  3. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

There are definitely a lot of bad ideas here. There are also definitely some good ones. Ones that game Uber ideas and even determined the stretch goals. Of course, now that the stretch goals have been achieved and they are finally going to start working on the game in full time, I see far less reason for them to keep looking here. Private forums (not yet out I think) on the otherhand.....
  4. Tekcor

Tekcor New Member

You're absolutely right, my first sentence was kind of trollish I guess.

I'm just worried that since this game is crowd-funded, and we know Uber is paying attention to the crowd, that some of these awful ideas will corrupt Uber's vision.
  5. zachb

zachb Member

Yes you should ignore some bad ideas. For example don't read this thread, that tells you to ignore the community.

THREAD DEFEATED!
  6. Nullberri

Nullberri New Member

I have faith that Uber entertainment can sort bad ideas from good ideas faster then we can write them.
  7. sacrificiallamb

sacrificiallamb Member

Challenge Accepted.
  8. Recon

Recon Member

Best solution is to make the game as moddable as possible, so everybody can put their bad ideas into their own mods and leave the official game as purely awesome as possible w/o throwing into it anything which takes away from that awesomeness.

Mods are a great outlet for the creative and sometimes stupid ideas that we all come up with. As long as the game is capable of allowing us to modify it in as many ways, then everybody's happy.
  9. jurgenvonjurgensen

jurgenvonjurgensen Active Member

Except for nuclear missiles, EMP missiles and missile defence.

Except for meteor showers and earthquakes.

Except hailstorms and wind.

Before saying a list of things TA didn't have, you should probably make sure it doesn't include a number of things TA had.
  10. Spooky

Spooky Member

You are bad and you should feel bad.

Have a nice day regardless ;)
  11. masterzh

masterzh New Member

I understand that every1 including you and me will in some point disagree with ideas we will find more and more here. They are highly experienced RTS developers so i think they will not pay attention on funs ideas about core gameplay mechanics and more focus on trying their own in how they work real.

But there are some which will definitely help gameplay without changing any main goal of the game or disbalance already implemented stuff.

For example reclaiming is confirmed feature and it will be imo stupid to dont use Ta:spring Area Commands to make it easer faster and more effective.
  12. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

i think the devs can decide better what is in and what is out the scope of the game. And who are you to decide alone what the game should be like? Therefore discussions in the forums are great and important.
  13. thefirstfish

thefirstfish New Member

Standing behind power grids. The others I agree are bad ideas.

I don't feel that PA has to be identical to TA...
  14. RaTcHeT302

RaTcHeT302 Guest

Out of 10 crappy ideas one will be awesome. :D
  15. gmorgan

gmorgan Member

The problem is suggesting ideas. Generally a better approach would be "When I play TA/SupCom I'm frustrated by problem" then let them deal with it. All features in a software project need to be couched in the context of a problem they are trying to solve. You'd have to ask what problem is being solved by some of the suggestions.
  16. embox

embox Moderator Alumni

Opinions, opinions, opinions~
    We all have opinions~
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.