Homage to the original TA Arm commander?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by gulliverfoyle, September 15, 2012.

1. gulliverfoyle

gulliverfoyle New Member

The original TA Arm commander was something between a 1950's comic book robot, and a 1970s Japanese 'Super Robot'. It was probably the design of the Arm Commander on the Total Annihilation box that made me buy TA originally.

[​IMG]
    anonymous picture upload

The Arm commander was a fairly simple design. Its head was like an upturned water pail with flat panel wings attached that evoked the helmets of the vikings. Its arms were over sized to showcase its firepower.

There was no mistake - this guy was King of your forces.

With how simple the Arm Commander was, what do you think of having one of the Commander models loosely based on it? I think a small tip of the hat like that would be greatly appreciated by the TA community at large.

-Foyle.
  2. dosbag

dosbag Member

I find it funny to think about having a miniature unit loosely based on this design that are expendable in battle.

WHERES YOUR CROWN NOW?
  3. renrutal

renrutal Member

Except they might be sued since they don't have the license to TA rights.
  4. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

I think that's why he said "loosely" based on it.
  5. linecircle

linecircle Member

That's what player-made mods are for :D
  6. TheLambaster

TheLambaster Active Member

That thing is actually pretty god damn ugly...
  7. sstagg1

sstagg1 Member

Hah, I agree :p. Some play on the word "Arm" and make it a very bad (or good) unit. Same thing for "Core".
  8. gulliverfoyle

gulliverfoyle New Member

I wouldn't be against that idea :D . Maybe the homage unit is a level 2 robot with limited offensive and build abilities? Having the homage unit be expendable would be a fun way of saying "Yeah, this game was inspired by TA, but this isn't TA. This is PA."
  9. dosbag

dosbag Member

I think of it as a good reference to TA. Perhaps imply that our machines encountered ARM and assimilated its technology. They found the design so inferior it was reduced to use as a footsoldier.

When I find references and easter eggs in games that do stuff like this I love it.
  10. yinwaru

yinwaru New Member

Core commander, on the other hand, was a total badass.

[​IMG]
  11. dosbag

dosbag Member

Much better looking imo.
  12. sstagg1

sstagg1 Member

Not surprised, Core was always the better of the two :mrgreen: Pshah human rights, consciousness belongs to the machines ;)
  13. gulliverfoyle

gulliverfoyle New Member

Can you post the original Arm Commander art as well? The pic I posted was fanart I found. Finding original TA cg artwork is hard these days.
  14. mostlikely

mostlikely New Member

[​IMG]

I think this is the one..

Personally in-game I liked the looks of the arm commander better because it has less straight angles.

[​IMG]
    vs
    [​IMG]

Tho the unit pics give a clearer representation:

[​IMG]
    vs
    [​IMG]
  15. ferrat70

ferrat70 New Member

I loved the Arm commander, Arm was always my favourite, a unit dedicated to it would be nice, we a look loosely based would be nice.

But I'd prefer them to be fairly powerful, maybe a high tech unit, or a limited one. To make it that much more special.
  16. sstagg1

sstagg1 Member

If the Arm commander was the same scale as the one shown in this pic:

[​IMG]

It could truly be one of those titan-like experimental units.
  17. tankhunter678

tankhunter678 New Member

The Core Commander reminds me of the generic Zaku found in the Gundam meta-series. Probably due to the mono-eye
  18. gulliverfoyle

gulliverfoyle New Member

I really don't think there's enough unique style to the Core Commander to make a PA unit loosely based on it that would be easily recognized.

The Arm Commander on the other hand is more uniquely stylized. If you made a unit loosely based on the Arm Commander, and gave it a head with a similar shape and similar wing-panels, and a torso with a big triangle grill on it, I think it would be obvious it was a tip of the hat to TA, but the overall design could still look vastly different than the original.

Theres really very little one would have to do to make a unit reminiscent of the Arm Commander, which is why I think it would be a great easter egg tribute.