No DVD in the "Commemorative limited edition full size box"?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Neumeusis, September 13, 2012.

1. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

Re: No DVD in the "Commemorative limited edition full size b

I consider local backups a form of physical storage. I'm pro physical storage, not pro discs (though I like discs, they aren't the only thing I support).

Yes, but if I recall correctly, you need steam installed and be logged in for installation for you to be able to play offline. If someone plays the game for a couple years and stop, then comes back after another 5 (my bad for not mentioning this in my original post) to find Steam is gone, they can't play the game anymore. Still, I don't use steam all that often, so I can't be positive about this.

Online requirements to play a game suck, but we already know this game won't have DRM. I'm talking about long term storage.

I'm bringing this up because someone said DVDs and other physical storage fail after a few years. I'm just saying, sure, but it can be backed up, unlike cloud storage (like steam).
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I have Steam on my netbook to play a few indie games and I can easily play them anywhere on it, no internetconnection or steamservers required. Steam is able to start offline and let you access your games just fine in general. Of course you need to still have the gamedata. But you can backup your whole steamfolder and just copy it around usually.
  3. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

Yes, but for steam to work offline, don't you have to have logged in before at least once? Or am I imagining things?
  4. kelleroid

kelleroid New Member

You can still launch some games through exes. With how PA will be non-Steam exclusive it surely will be launchable without Steam.
  5. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

Well, so long as I can copy some files to a flash drive/disc, bring them to a new computer with no Internet or programs that don't come with the computer (like steam), and still play the game, I will be very very happy.
  6. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

This is such a waste of time and money for Uber I'm sad they need waste effort on it. Physical media is useless in a world with weekly patches through a dedicated portal. Its not like patches are .exe anymore.
  7. kelleroid

kelleroid New Member

Your statement would only apply if everyone had permanent 100% stable ultra-fast connections to Internet from anywhere. That's very far from reality.

And why you said "waste of money"? They get $20 extra for each USB stick they give to backers. Would you give someone a lemon when you get $5 and asked for an orange? Would you just take the cash and not fulfill the promise?
  8. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

No one has 100% stable connections to the internet. Physical media just doesn't make sense for a product that gets designed as a service rather than just a gold released product with DLC updates.
  9. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Didn't Neutrino say it would cost them more than the 20$? Or am I mixing that up with the GW quote?

Mike
  10. sacrificiallamb

sacrificiallamb Member

I don't recall seeing that but they did was the international shipping was going to cost them more than what they asked.
  11. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

Never been said about either flash drives or GW. It was about this:

12. KNight

KNight Post Master General

No I'm pretty sure Neutrino mentioned in one of the GW 'raeg' threads that it would cost more than the 300k needed to reach the stretch goal.

Mike
  13. waspinator

waspinator New Member

Multiplayer-heavy games tend to have a lot of patches that make disc obsolete really fast anyway.
  14. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

Patches are easy to back up. Really easy.
  15. kelleroid

kelleroid New Member

If you're playing an offline skirmish you won't care about any patches or anything.
  16. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

To an extent. Depends on how much the patches change. Still, you can usually save the patches just like anything else.
  17. Spooky

Spooky Member

If you don't care about any patches, then you also don't care about how they are distributed.
  18. sporkwitch

sporkwitch New Member

You need to properly qualify your statements. MSFT might drop support, Apple probably already has, but I can still use tape on my linux machines. Then you have projects like Dosbox. The issues that will cause you trouble in playing your old games aren't going to be hardware/media support from the OS, but rather lazy programming resulting in unstable performance, or some fundamental functionality change the renders it incompatible (which is what projects like Dosbox are for.)

The nice thing about linux is that it's all open-source. If the mainline builds do change in some way as to cause an issue, all of those changes are public and clearly documented, making implementation of a compatibility layer for older games trivial.

In the end, the point is that your claims aren't really applicable to any good modern operating systems. They only really apply to Apple (which locks their systems down and tells their users what they can do and use, and they'll like it, damnit!) and MSFT which generally takes action to actively break compatibility even to the product's own detriment, so as to help maintain its ONLY advantage in the market place: incumbent status, an illegal monopoly, and the ability to set de facto standards in contradition of official standards and conventions.

That goes without saying; it's also completely irrelevant. It has no bearing on the desire or need for a physical medium due to horrific internet connections. Delta patches, even on launch day, are much better than the prospect of downloading the full thing on launch day, as well.

For an excellent model of how to handle patching, one need look no further than Final Fantasy XI. It checks local file version numbers, downloads only tho latest versions of missing/outdated files, installs once all are downloaded. Most importantly, individual files are downloaded, so even if your patching is interrupted, the most you lose is the progress on that one file it was downloading when it failed.

Now maybe in 20 years the US will catch up with the rest of the civilized world, but for the time being, physical media very much has a place, if only for bulk data; you can always use delta patches afterward.

In any case, thanks Uber for making the drive an option. I paid in for it on top of my $250 tier.
  19. sacrificiallamb

sacrificiallamb Member

Some people are making this a very complex argument, like to be able to hold some thing and say I own this. and I inherently distrust the internet. I find people reliance on it as both scary and dangerous, but I may be paranoid.

also thanks for the option I got 2 in anticipation of AWESOME
  20. atechone

atechone New Member

My 2cents:

I have two reasons why I prefer a physical copy:

1. This is my internet speed at home (a digital copy is essentially a backup for me as it will take ages to download it):

[​IMG]

2. I like the idea that i have something physical to remember the game by, i'll have the box, i'll now have the USB. Each to their own and this is why i paid more.

Cheers.