1. foxenn

foxenn New Member

I have played FA, more importantly I have people in my family who are pro RTS gamers who've played for money and won tournaments in national and international leagues. There was some differentiation but it was mostly minor, nothing like starcraft. When people talk factions they want something like starcraft - very pronounced. FA/Supcom was more like a whisper with seeds of greatness.

While you may think it was 'highly differentiated', there was a reason why the multiplayer community of these games was a ghost town. The faction design really wasn't very good.

When a game fails in terms of its multiplayer community as badly as supcom/fa did there were serious problems. Trying to gloss over that when the community was so small is splitting hairs. You want to have people playing the game in multiplayer and there just wasn't enough in Supcom/FA - the complete ghost town they ended up being was more then proof enough there were significant problems. I understand as a fan you are passionate but lets not forget if people don't play your game thats a pretty good sign there were problems.
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

So you are basically agreeing with what I said? Great!

I don't recall saying that, and I'm not sure why you brought up the multiplayer, frankly for the genre and all that it did well, of course it's fairly quiet now but hey, what normal game doesn't get quiet after 4-5 years?

Mike
  3. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

TA
  4. KNight

KNight Post Master General

You're Saying Ta is played just as much now as at release? Or did you misunderstand me saying quiet as to mean dead? Then of course we need to decide if Mods count or not.......

Mike
  5. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

While TA did go down in it's player base, it didn't go down by all that much for a long time. Actually, if you go onto TAUniverse forums, you will see it had nearly 1,300 users on in 2007 (probably because of SupCom, but yeah, definitely not quiet 10 years after the game came out). These days WarZone seems to be fairly quiet (and nearly the only place to play OTA [unmodded TA]), with only around 20-40 people on, but 3 years ago there where like 5 different places with hundreds of players in all that you could easily get a game with. Not bad (or quiet) for a 12 year old (at the time) game.

Basically, I'm assuming you used "quiet" as a relative term. As in, it went from lots of people to few fairly quickly; maybe over a half a year. Not that it died, and not that it dwindled a little bit.
  6. Spooky

Spooky Member

It neither went down "quickly", nor was it ever all that quiet altogether. Also it went up now with FAF. There are even more people playing over FAF now, than over GPGnet in the last year of its existence. Even Supreme Commander 2 is holding its level for almost one and a half years now. Other games have dropped from the top 100 games list on Steam much faster (and even those aren't really quiet or dead).
  7. Moranic

Moranic Member

Jesus, how many faction threads are there?
    They said: One faction with twice the amount of units. So alot of diversity within ONE faction. Allows deeper tactics and more balanced gameplay.