The Narrator and his presence throughout the game.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by borreh, September 15, 2012.

1. borreh

borreh New Member

Come to think who we have on board *cough*, I think we could expand this idea a little.

Basicaly, the game has no narrative. The story ends at the into. From then it's a big sandbox with planets exploding. Which puts it on the 'gamey' side of things on the narration vs ludology duality.

OR DOES IT?

What if we would add story elements to the sandbox gameplay through the Narrator's commentary.

Somehwat like in Bastion, you got a person tell you the story of the game which basicaly has no dialogue. However, that one has an actual story.

This time, it would be Lowrie who would shape the story basing on the actions of the player. It could be just short, but ominious commentaries on the actions, like losing a base, destroying a planet, amassing a huge force, exploring alien planets, activating metal planets and so on.

It doesn't necessarily have to shape itself into a coherent story, but rather it would make the player feel he is indeed creating his own story. Maybie dropping some backstory here and there, like a short comment about the nature of a metal planet you expand upon.

This would require some scripting, but I think it would add a nice touch to the game, if only by making it feel more epic.
  2. Yourtime

Yourtime Member

actually i read, that in galactic wars there will be dynamic story missions, maybe the narrator will be there present.
  3. borreh

borreh New Member

Didn't know that, so far the information is quite scattered and I don't yet keep track of everything.

Still, with galaxy conquest or not, commentaries to the player's actions would be a nice touch.
  4. Yourtime

Yourtime Member

Source: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...nihilation-a-next-generation-rts/posts/303555
  5. nrfive

nrfive New Member

uhu...

maybe get him to do a ringtone? ;)

"Pick up your phone in 5 seconds.... or be annihilated.... 5... 4....3...2...1.... incoming planetary bombardment!"

But yeah we need more John! :)

// Nr|Five
  6. gulliverfoyle

gulliverfoyle New Member

I agree that we need more narrator. He really added to the awesome vibe that TA had.

Hell, have him sing the song that plays during the credits.
  7. sacrificiallamb

sacrificiallamb Member

I think that sounds like a grate idea, I hope they can implement something like this.