Design suggestions/inspiration for 1000$ commander.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by thedbp, September 10, 2012.

1. RCIX

RCIX Member

I'd probably dig up one of my Armored Core mech designs. I had some cool ones.
  2. WarStalkeR

WarStalkeR New Member

All people who are here suggesting new custom commanders are owners of $1000+ packages? I'm asking of pure interest... I'm ordered just 90$ package :)

Well amount of Unique Commanders will be 102 + some PayPal buyers... So chances to meet Unique Commander in multiplayer will be quite small... Chances to meet alpha commanders will be bigger, 8144 + some PayPal buyers are owners of Alpha Commanders. And 14606 + some PayPal buyers are owners of Progenitor Commanders. Still related to the amount of online players that will be available, when game will be released, total amount of "special" commanders is quite small and meeting one will be rarity. Oh, and game such as Planetary Annihilation will have huge multiplayer gamers, I'm sure of it...
  3. nekochild

nekochild New Member

Not sure of the others but I dropped a grand for a custom. ^^
  4. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

People People. If anything, they would want some Original Designs! Not ones that have already been out on the market. Break out your drawing books, Pencils, and start drawing!

I learned the hard way that using someone elses work is not good for business. Making your own, from scratch, is far more worth your time. Instead of posting random pictures of mechas that already exist.
  5. nekochild

nekochild New Member

^_^; Ehehe~ With my drawing talents they would likely get a stick figure, and that alone would be hard to make out.
  6. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

You dont have to draw an entire unit, start with something small. An Arm maybe? Or a weapon? Let your imagination go!
  7. sacrificiallamb

sacrificiallamb Member

I don't think any one expects them to copy exactly what was posted, other than the fact they well adapt it to the art style of the game and the kickstarter says "You send us some source inspiration" so it's likely to be changed, possibly because they expected people to ignore copyrights.
  8. nekochild

nekochild New Member

Those were my thoughts as well. I don't actually expect them to make the Metal Gears, only to build off of them. My question though, is if we'll be limited on weaponry as I suspect we will be.
  9. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I must have missed that learning part, considering how repeatedly tried to use my work.....

Clearly you didn't actually read the reward description.

Mike
  10. archmagerudi

archmagerudi New Member

How about a commander based on the shredder? Remove the spikes and make him more mech like and he is a pretty good base for a commander.

Sadly im unemployed and cannot afford to put 1000 down for a custom :S
    [​IMG]
  11. chronoblip

chronoblip Member

I express my art though modifications to my cars, or by prose and verse, not by pen and paper. :cool:
  12. WarStalkeR

WarStalkeR New Member

I don't want to upset you OrangeKnight, but your work - mods, from law's point of view aren't copyrighted and have no lawful rights at all, so basically anybody, who takes a robot or tank from your mod, in to their mod or their game (that can cost some $ later) even doesn't have to think about whom belongs to that robot/tank "model" and the worst part no matter how much books about laws, constitution & other law related stuff you will read, you can't do anything, until you register you creation under special license. But... you can't (well you can, but its too complex, so easier to say you can't) register them for special license because its mod for game created by another developer and not independent art or model that have license.

And when you see somebody ask somebody about if his model can be used in own mod - its of pure respect to modmaker, basically there are no rules for it.
  13. KNight

As the Artist I have claim to copyright on my Original Works.

These cases had nothing to do with asking permission, but taking without notice, and later denying the action repeatedly even in the face to proof.

Mike
  14. WarStalkeR

WarStalkeR New Member

As the Artist you can do it only if you licensed your original work, you can claim the copyright. Did you paid licensing fees? If not, then these words doesn't mean anything... Really, I'm from Israel and I know about US law more than you. Why do I think so? Because of your claim.
  15. jurgenvonjurgensen

jurgenvonjurgensen Active Member

Incorrect. You're confusing Trademarks (which must be registered for a fee) and Copyright. The latter is automatically applied to any copyrightable work regardless of if the creator wants it or not (they must explicitly state if they wish their work to be released under a less restrictive license). A mod may be considered a derivative work if it uses assets from the game that aren't redistributable, but that doesn't mean you have to apply for copyright, it means you can never get copyright, even if you ask.
  16. KNight

Yup, its one reason why Crowd sourcing Art assets can be a huge headache to sort out.

Mike
  17. sstagg1

sstagg1 Member

That's fantastic. Makes me wish I had $1k put into this :p
  18. cptkilljack

cptkilljack Member

19. theavatarofwar

theavatarofwar New Member

Every time I see these humanoid robot constructions, in fan art, anime, movies or whatever, I can't help but think how they handle their ultimate nemeses: getting tripped. Maybe each humanoid robot comes with a MediAlert bracelet so help can always rush to their side. :p

As for me, I'd go more with the sentry bots from the Fallout series. A tripod, and the weight appropriately heavy in the lower half to avoid those deadly trips.

[​IMG]
  20. jurgenvonjurgensen

jurgenvonjurgensen Active Member

There are many different things competing for the title of "ultimate nemesis of the giant bipedal combat machine", like ground pressure, mechanical complexity, surface area to volume ratio, target profile, weapon mounting issues, balance software complexity and various joints being high-maintenance points of failure. Basically, for there to be bipedal robots at all, you have to assume they're made of Robotium, which solves all of these problems and makes them competitive with tanks becuase of Spiral Power or Minovski Particles or AT Fields or whatever magic words are in fashion this season.