Animated Main Menu

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by RaTcHeT302, September 14, 2012.

1. RaTcHeT302

RaTcHeT302 Guest

Could we please have an animated main menu? Where we can see bots having battles on a very small portion of a planet (so that it doesn't make loading times too long) while on the menu screen? Also I hope that we can get a simple menu screen such as the old TF2 menu but with bigger text.

Please? :D
  2. thygrrr

thygrrr Member

Please, no. Just a lobby (outside the game), and then launch directly into the game. Maybe keep portions of the game in the background (think how EA's origin does it with Battlefield) so it loads faster the second time.

The Supreme Commander Menu was a nightmare. the Forged Alliance menu was worse. And the Supreme Commander 2 Menu was... even worse.

Plain, functional menus please. And no animation riffraff that you cannot skip or that eats a second or more of your precious life away everytime the menu opens.
  3. Yourtime

Yourtime Member

i would like it like ta.
  4. shinseitom

shinseitom Member

I can agree with no extra menu animations when switching screens, but why no background stuff going on? I loved seeing mass chaos, even if it was a looping video, and I never thought it detracted from the menu's usability.

But to reiterate, I totally agree on menu pauses. Dungeon Defenders actually annoys me a lot, as it can take multiple seconds to switch between different menus because of stupid fancy slide-in animations. Ridiculous.
  5. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

But the TA menu was great. :mrgreen: No animations, please. Animations are in the game. :mrgreen:
  6. RaTcHeT302

RaTcHeT302 Guest

Well, I was talking about a menu like Age of Mithology (animation wise).

You could also have the option of enabling it only after you'd load the game. When you'd first start the game no animated menus would be there unless you wanted it.
  7. Tekcor

Tekcor New Member

I was watching some video of SMNC last night, and I really like the way the menus animate. I could take or leave the background battles. Unless they're randomly generated, I really don't care, as they'll get old fast. And wasting CPU cycles on building random background battles is an awful idea.

But transition animations can go a long way to making a product feel polished these days.
  8. mauly

mauly New Member

I enjoyed the CnC Generals menu with the US fighting off the GLA with ingame graphics. I like th idea :)
  9. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I was okay with the FA-Style Menu with a single Exception: The flickering animations were annoying. There is a little mod (called "speedmenu", I think) that disabled the flickering.
    That way you could actually click your way through the menus very quickly.
  10. shinseitom

shinseitom Member

Oh? I'll have to look that up. Slow menus always irk me.
  11. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Dont look it up, here it is. Unzip and put it into your gamedata-directory.

Attached Files:

12. chronoblip

chronoblip Member

I think it'd be fun to have the ability to play videos in the background, but the menu selections themselves being very rapid. Perhaps it could use an intro video or a replay of a game you played recently.

I also liked the Mechcommander 2 "static but animated" menu background. It was basically just a planet and stars:
    http://youtu.be/naoQxaHQnQY?t=1m58s

Also note that it shows the menu option for selecting the player's primary and secondary colors, on a unit shown with the game engine, which I thought was a nice touch.

Lastly, having hotkeys like the TA menu did was also very nice. If you knew what buttons to hit, you could start the game and be in a skirmish in under 30 seconds.
  13. Regabond

Regabond Member

Having a really plain and simple menu tends to reduce the time it takes to get things launched and a game started. Which is something I've always liked when games are set up so I can go from shortcut to loading the game level within just a few seconds.

Granted, I also really loved the FA background with units running around in the background.
  14. giantsnark

giantsnark Member

Much appreciated. I didn't play FA for a while, and so I missed the big shift to community-run and mod-heavy play.
  15. Yourtime

Yourtime Member

didn't have TA animation at the buttons? ( I liked that and hope it gets again)
    Last edited: September 14, 2012
  16. Edswor

Edswor New Member

Yes, also like Warcraft 3 o Starcraft 2, static menus with a "simple" background animation.
  17. rab777

rab777 New Member

See dawn of war II as well. Replace the specific dow avatar with a PA commander and boom, I'd be happy with that.
  18. asgo

asgo Member

I like my menu informative, well organized and efficient.
    Having flashy animations and stuff won't increase the usability (probably more the opposite) and doesn't increase my opinion of a game.
    A fitting color scheme and background would be enough for a menu.

Some games are configured/started from regular windows applications, fine with me.
  19. sstagg1

sstagg1 Member

I like seeing a nice looking menu, but if I want to skip through it as quickly as possible, I want to be able to memorize clicking patterns / keyboard shortcuts so I can nearly instantly get into starting a game.

With TA, s-s brought me straight to the skirmish menu, less than a second into the game. That's what I want.

Also, the background videos always seemed awesome at first, when you were in awe of the big things shooting lasers, but then lost value as you became accustomed to them, after which they just got annoying (there was an option to turn off, but that didn't speed up the menus... btw thanks for the link Cola_Colin)

TA speed, with a simple dynamic background would be nice. Perhaps a solar system model of the last game you played. No units, just the planets/star/rocks/etc.
  20. RCIX

RCIX Member

Okay, now I know people are hating on SC2 because it was SC2. The SC2 menus were leagues better than FA or SC in terms of latency and visual stuff going on...

Also, @op: /singed