local game server questions

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by asgo, September 14, 2012.

1. asgo

asgo Member

I would like to have more information on the (planned) design structure of the game servers.
    Will there differences (beside the scale) between the online game servers and private lan servers?
    Somewhere in the first updates on kickstarter was mentioned something about, certain aspects like meta game (aka galactic war?) being online only.

If you can host an own GW server, can you host multiple local battles in parallel or just sequentially?

If so, is it planned as "one" server or are the GW and solar level different server programs, allowing one GW server interacting (starting, status, results, etc) with multiple single battle servers on arbitrary computers?

some might have been answered already, some might be void, anyway ... ;)
  2. erastos

erastos Member

Anything you can do online, you can do offline. The only difference is that Uber's servers are probably beefier than yours so there's an excellent chance you won't have the hardware to run the massive games as they can.
  3. asgo

asgo Member

don't doubt the beefier part :)

I just encountered that part in the update:
    and wondered if it had anything to do with the GW metagame stuff.
  4. erastos

erastos Member

Since GW is also providing the single player offline campaign and Uber have stated they're not doing any arbitrary DRM style restrictions I wouldn't worry about it.
  5. jmint0

jmint0 New Member

Once I set it up, I wonder if the local PA Server stats will beat out Craftbukkit's.
  6. asgo

asgo Member

fair enough, the other questions did assume that case anyway. ;)