No DVD in the "Commemorative limited edition full size box"?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Neumeusis, September 13, 2012.

1. Neumeusis

Neumeusis Active Member

(Hell, the character limit in the subject is short...).

Hello,

After the Update #10, i learned that there will not be any CD/DVD/physical support for the game in the "Commemorative limited edition full size game box".

I'm attached to the physical stuff, and was pretty happy to find my old TA CDs 15 years after i bought them when nostalgia hit me after seeing PA.
    I just put them in my drive and let's rock !
    Game installed, nice music, let's kick some Krogoth.
    No long download, forgotten login or anything.

I know, i know, times are changing. Steam, digital stuff and all.
    But what's the point to get a super über physical commemorative limited edition game box to have it empty ? Or with some ugly selfburned DVD ?

I am the only one dissapointed about that ?
  2. Spooky

Spooky Member

Re: No DVD in the "Commemorative limited edition full size b

Didn't even know that was the case. Couldn't care less ;).
  3. sharpy34

sharpy34 New Member

All your physical goodies will be stored in the box (t-shirt, miniatures etc)
  4. zordon

zordon Member

I see what you did there.
  5. sacrificiallamb

sacrificiallamb Member

I'm a little let down, but it's not a deal breaker. I had also assumed that the art book would be printed at that level.
  6. pizwitch

pizwitch Active Member

I'm disapointed too... but that's not a valid reason to reduce/cancel my pledge. :D
    I wish Uber will send to us an official gamebox if the game is very successful (or at last, a printable CD artwork).
  7. zordon

zordon Member

Really i'd rather they have the money they'll save to spend on the game.
  8. core188

core188 New Member

No you aren`t.
  9. sacrificiallamb

sacrificiallamb Member

I'd pay for a disc + more shipping after the game is done if that's what it takes, but that's some thing to be worried about after the game so i'm not stressing about that. but the art book i want that's at $250 and by the time i pay that i may as well go for the full 1K that i have been coveting so much, now that decision is on a time limit S-:
  10. erastos

erastos Member

I wanted to reinstall supcom/FA. I spent hours finding my original discs, then after more hours I despaired of finding my supcom manual (I found manuals for stuff like Quake 2 and earlier, no idea where my supcom manual went) and went looking for a warez key. Then I discovered that while my supcom disk (with a warez key) was fine, in the years that have passed my FA disk (with legit key) has been scratched and won't install. Fortunately Steam accepts any supcom or FA key to unlock both supcom and FA so I can actually play the full game now.

I hated the idea of steam in the early days,. I absolutely refused to install I until I was literally forced to in order to play supcom 2.

'Sequel to the best game ever is only available through Steam? God damn. Ok fine. I'll install Steam so I can play it.'

'Wait, what, it's a huge disappointment? Raeg!'

But honestly - physical media is terrible. The theoretical downsides from Steam's DRM and watching what you play are a bit ****. But really it's hard to argue the upsides don't out weight them.
  11. jurgenvonjurgensen

jurgenvonjurgensen Active Member

The current maximum data rate for DVDs is 176Mb/s, practically much less, and that's not set to change. Meanwhile, I'm getting 46Mb/s on my home connection, and that's over wireless (and overdue for the rollout of a 100Mb line). By the time PA comes out, I suspect it'll be faster to download it than it would be to read the data off a DVD (given the time taken to unwrap, insert and mount the disk).

The optical drive on my laptop broke over a year ago. I only noticed a couple of months ago, because it had been that long since I'd needed to use an optical disk. For all I care, a game box is just a thing you put on a shelf to display, and the contents may as well be a certificate which says "The owner of this box didn't just pirate this game from the Internet."
  12. dffmmm

dffmmm Member

This is why I'll stay with the $90 tier.
    If one day a physical copy is available for sale (prefferably a collector's edition) I'll buy that and if not I'll just have to settle for a crappy selfburned disc.
  13. kelleroid

kelleroid New Member

The only difference is, of course, the fact you can carry around the disk physically and install the software without access to any network.

The only difference between a DVD and a digital download are the media required to access the data on them: a DVD drive or Internet access. DVD drives are much more common.
  14. chronoblip

chronoblip Member

I plan on burning my own backup, and then using the LightScribe thingy to make a label. By controlling the backup myself, I can then also ensure that it has all the latest updates on the disc, instead of the disc only have version 1.00 and then needing to go out and download updates for balance and bugs.

In fact, I wonder if that's something that Uber would be willing to do - have their guy who does the graphics also prep an official label file. Being grayscale it couldn't be too complicated, so I'd not imagine it taking a long time to put the image together.

Wouldn't be quite the same as providing the physical media itself but it would be a cool gesture I think.
  15. Neumeusis

Neumeusis Active Member

Hey,

Yes, Digital distribution platforms are good and have a lot of good side.
    And some are lucky enough to have a good internet (far from beeing my case, would probably take me 2 days to download a 4Gb file).

My point is : it's a "Physical" reward tiers, with a super game box & goodies.
    But you'll still have to download your game ?
    Why do not slap a DVD in there ? Would contain the game, the soundtrack, the Artbook and the wallpaper.
    Add a gamekey send by email (or even better a small piece of paper in the gamebox) and everybody is happy.

jurgenvonjurgensen can download his copy, erastos can re-use his key if the DVD gets droken, and i can have all my stuff safely stashed somewere.
  16. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I'm more disappointed in the number of people that don't realize how expensive packaging is, especially for the relative small run Über will need and the fact it's a full size box like those we had back in the 90s. There's is a reason 95% of games come in small Plastic cases with manual having as few pages as possible, it's cheaper!

Mike
  17. jurgenvonjurgensen

jurgenvonjurgensen Active Member

Optical drives more common than internet connections? People actually burning things to DVD for backup instead of archiving to a backup HDD? Am I looking through a portal to 2006? Do people seriously still keep hundreds of DVD-Rs around?
  18. sporkwitch

sporkwitch New Member

Saw this come up on the kickstarter comments a minute ago as well, so C&Ping what I said there:

It's not a dealbreaker, but having a physical copy is a very nice thing. I can understand maybe only giving out physical copies of the windows version due to the (misleading statistics) marketshare, but especially in the US, decent speeds are not exactly common. If I have to play on my windows machine while I wait for the linux version to download, fine, but at least I'd be able to play without waiting literally days or more to download it.
  19. Neumeusis

Neumeusis Active Member

Like i said, i'm really old school.
    And i don't count the number of backup disk failuresome friends and i had, one loosed all his backuped data when his grilfriend stumbled upon the carpet and catch the backup HDD in her fall.
    My last personnal experience : my PC died. Burned. Literraly.
    0 data recoverable. Even my backup HDD was not usable anymore.

Happy me and my backup DVDs (i don't have hundreds, just 5-6 ;) ).
    And ultra happy when i could re-install all my stuff from my physical software library...
  20. sporkwitch

sporkwitch New Member

Meanwhile the other 95% of the United States are happy to see 20Mb/s for US$100/month and caps around 150-250GB before you get dial-up speeds (and that's if even those speeds are available.)