Who will compose the sound track?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by pattern, September 12, 2012.

1. pattern

pattern New Member

I'm on the verge of doubling my bid

Before I do, I want a definitive answer will Jermey Soule compose the soundtrack if we reach the 5th stretch goal?
  2. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Go watch the video again.
  3. pattern

pattern New Member

Which one?
  4. zordon

zordon Member

5. RaTcHeT302

RaTcHeT302 Guest

6. thefirstfish

thefirstfish New Member

7. pattern

pattern New Member

8. agmarstrick

agmarstrick Member

I think it's pretty good, and suits demigod's aesthetic well. The music in the PA demo is badass, in my opinion and I'm looking forward to the full orchestral score. :cool:
  9. corhen

corhen Member

great, now i need to go buy the Demigod sound track...
  10. acey195

acey195 Member

I think we all just need to give Howard a chance. If Soule would only even compose part of the music, he would simply run away with all the credit. I would be a sad panda if something like that would happen to me.

Sure I like Soule's music, but from the music from the visualization, I think Howard will do a terrific job.
  11. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

12. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

Hi,

I asked the same question in this thread. ->Link

Yes, I watched the video again. And now I know it's Howard Mostrom.

I don't agree. I listen to the soundtracks of Howard Mostrom to form an opinion. I prefer the TA soundtrack from Jeremy Soule.

Some titles from the soundtrack of Total Annihilation have a high recognition value and stand out.
    This -> One
    This -> Two
    This -> Three
    This -> Four

Besides... I like film scores, so this soundtrack ->SMNC seemed very familiar to me.
    I've heard it before. It sounds like this at 2:00 ->Sunshine
    Now I'm a bit confused...

acey195 said: "I think we all just need to give Howard a chance."
    And I agree with that. I'm looking forward to the "Full Orchestral Score" and hope Uber will reach the goal.

In my view, the soundtrack should be unique and epic. And I really hope Howard Mostrom will reach this goal.

Greetings: Roschach-Phoenix
  13. molloy

molloy Member

I would have said Jeremy Soul was essential but I really like the theme from the trailer so I'm pretty happy with them going down that route.
  14. JWest

JWest Active Member

Howard Mostrom's work in Demigod was fantastic, and if we reach the full orchestra goal I think he could do some amazing stuff. You have to remember, he probably had to put together that music in the trailer pretty quickly. Given more time he could probably create a more complex score for the game that I'm sure we'll all thoroughly enjoy ;)
  15. thefirstfish

thefirstfish New Member

I'm happy to give Howard Mostrom a chance. His previous work is promising and this could be his chance to shine especially if we get the orchestral stretch goal. Jeremy Soule is great and to be fair does have a better track record but I think Neutrino mentioned/implied at some point that while they could ask JS to do it, the costs would be much higher.

One thing I would personally like to see from HM would be more of a military drum influence, and a restrained amount of the tribal/rock/metal drum patterns in a lot of his past work. Especially if going orchestral.
  16. magicide1

magicide1 Member

Those and a few other TA tracks are the only video game songs I still regularly play while driving even all these years later. Whoever ends up doing the music, I hope they have a few high tempo brassy songs like TA's combat music.

I enjoyed the SupCom music but even with all of the hours I put in I can't remember it without hearing a bar or two first. The TA music jumps out with the first note.

17. ppipp

ppipp New Member

In my opinion, the TA soundtrack is unrivalled in any other game soundtrack, even by Jeremy Soule himself and that's why we can't expect the same quality in PA soundtrack. However, the Demigod soundtrack was a nice one, even if definitely not as enticing.

What worries me a lot more is that I really don't like the soundtrack made for the PA trailer. I think it's uninspired, that it lacks soul. As soon as Lowrey's voice acting stops, the soundtrack actually irks me a bit. It attempts to be epic but somehow fails to transport me into the universe. To me, it sounds like a parody of an epic boss soundtrack (for a bad guy for instance), not something that evokes battle of epic scale like Two steps from hell, or the TA, Star Wars, Supcom soundtracks, and the likes.
    If all the tracks are in the same atmosphere as the trailer, I would not listen to them more than once.

Putting this kind of soundtrack into a full orchestral score would be a waste for me, since I don't think it would be better played by an orchestra, and I would listen to my own soundtracks instead.
    Last edited: September 13, 2012
  18. JWest

JWest Active Member

What Neutrino said was that Jeremy was a personal friend of his, and if he asked, he would probably do the score for PA. However, they've already got a guy on it - Howard - and he's quite good. It would be a rather backhanded move to get someone else in to do the game when you've already got a composer working at your studio.

Basically, it would be a **** thing to do to Howard at this point. He's got some great work, let's see what he can do with PA.