Will the game have "super weapons"?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by hakkarin, September 12, 2012.

1. hakkarin

hakkarin New Member

Seeing as this is a game that takes place on a massive scale and promisies you the ability to destroy entire worlds, it only makes sense to ask. I also think I remember reading something about the player being able to build "mega projects".

So, what kind of super weapons (if any) will or should be in the game besides the meteors?

Planet destroying super lasers or doomsday missiles/rockets? Space stations?

Also, what are "mega projects" (if they are in the game as I have heard)?

Thoughts?
  2. comham

comham Active Member

So far the confirmed super weapons are nukes, asteroid impacts and reactivating the metal planets.
  3. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

I know some people will want more, but I like the current number of options.

The game should be about slinging armies of tanks at each other, not doomsday badminton.
  4. comham

comham Active Member

Yeah. I don't know what the ideal goal is but I'd say about 20% of games ending due to superweapon and 80% due to conventional weapons sounds good to me.
  5. chronoblip

chronoblip Member

I had to post this. [​IMG]

I think that limiting the super-weapons is a good thing, in that there's already going to be a lot to try and keep track of.

I haven't heard whether or not many of these weapons will even interact. Can one asteroid intercept another?

Having a lot of options is nice, but many would then prompt folks to request a counter...when the big superweapons so far can be countered by effective macro, as opposed to a specific structure or whatnot.

Like, for instance, if the nukes we saw in the video going after the asteroid worked as both an offensive and defensive weapon, so we saw two super-weapons interacting with each other. So while they technically act as a counter, they both represent investment by the players into super weapons in general, as opposed to an R/P/S of those weapons.
  6. thefirstfish

thefirstfish New Member

Yeah. That sounds about right. Superweapons are nice to have for big team games.
  7. hakkarin

hakkarin New Member

What does that mean? What does reactivating a metal planet do?
  8. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

We currently believe that metal planets are super-weapons in and of themselves. To fire them, we expect something needs to be captured and/or repaired.
  9. torgamous

torgamous New Member

10. thedbp

thedbp Member