Final Release Graphics

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by btustorm, September 11, 2012.

1. pizwitch

pizwitch Active Member

I also think aesthetics is far better in SC2 than in SC & FA. I find the design of FA quite tasteless...
    Only two points are bad in SC2 for me : classical economy and map size. Apart from this, I think SC2 is a very good game. :)
  2. sacrificiallamb

sacrificiallamb Member

bloom or high dynamic range lighting is just something I can't get behind it just obstructs the cool thing that i want to see. i don't need it to be that realistic no one likes a bright light in there eyes why simulate it for "fun".

I like the visual design in the video and am excited to see the finished designs.
  3. btustorm

btustorm New Member

Okay okay... maybe it's because I actually design robots for a living as a mechanical engineer...

A lot of the things I've seen and played around with that are simply for transport assistance or manufacturing look more threatening than these things haha.

I'll drop it I suppose... sounds like there's a lot of people on here with bad PCs that are afraid it won't run well ; (
  4. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

Let me repeat (with emphasis this time since you're having trouble):
    http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/planeta ... ith-moons/[/quote]
  5. btustorm

btustorm New Member

I suppose there is potential based on some things out there to see some good style...: http://stevekozie3d.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... omage.html

Sigh, the one thing I don't like about this game and it looks like it will disappoint. There was not one thing I disliked about TA or Supp Comm and the community is once again crying foul at complexity.... such a sigh....
  6. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

So the style will remain similar but there may be more detail. I spent some time talking to Steve about these issues tonight and he's definitely going to punch things up a bit for final.
  7. Whinis

Whinis New Member

I think this was my biggest grip with the new style, not so much that its not super gritty like supcom or TA but rather, the units look like legos that have been stuck together in the video. The style is good for readability however when the unit looks the same at planet level as it does zoomed it I can't seem to like it.
  8. aleran

aleran New Member

As long as the aesthetic from the demonstration video is maintained, I think we'll all be happy :)
  9. neutrino

Yes, that's the key thing. And Steve is driving the process the entire way (as he did with the video).

We spent some time riffing on the terrain today. One of the first orders of business on that front is to mock up some more final "test areas" in Max. Basically each type of terrain gets a small custom made piece that's conceptually represents the finished terrain. This it then used as input during the design of each of the procedural terrain types. So for example a piece of the metal planet, some desert, some water areas, forest etc. It's basically defining a terrain archetype.

There is also a bit of tech research happening during this conceptual phase on the exact terrain representation. As I've said before I don't want to use a traditional heightmap unless we have to. I'm trying to put a new twist on some semi-old school tech and apply it to the terrain to get something like we've never seen before. Of course we could always fall back to a heightmap of some sort or even use a variety of other techniques. For example tiles of some sort (TA used tiles).
  10. RCIX

RCIX Member

Can we see an example, perhaps in a future update?
  11. neutrino

We will be doing updates of some sort, not sure exactly what we'll be showing though.
  12. KNight

KNight Post Master General

The Style is shifting? Blargh, there goes my fanart! xD

Mike
  13. neutrino

No, it's not shifting. It's just going to be refined. Steve has had the same vision the whole time, it just hasn't been fully realized yet.
  14. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Guess I'll just have to go on what we've got so far, I'm kinda in a time crunch.

Mike
  15. itspayne

itspayne New Member

A cartoon oriented style as in the trailers would not be bad (personally, I would still prefer a supcom look). But, please dont let effects and explosions look cartoonie. I really liked the flashy explosions TA and SupCom had. It gave a good feeling of energy and power thats inside the shots/units. Also units should not go instantly boom when health bar is 0. They should at lease fall and have their last sec before they get annihilated. It's more ..heroic.

My personal wish ever for rts like this is so have units in sutch games that stumble on hit, maybe loose an arm, maybe fall and stad up again, get a "used look" after battle.
    I wonder y noone did this before in a classic rts, and I think also PA won't go for that. But for me it would make the difference between an army of faceless minions and individuals.
    Just a little dream..
    Last edited: September 12, 2012
  16. zordon

zordon Member

No way I loved the look of the explosions and smoke etc.
  17. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

I enjoyed the effects from the PA promo video.

I also enjoyed most of the effects and Sup1 and to a lesser extent even those from Sup2 (they were scaled too high so they were visible for consoles, but otherwise I found most of them a-okay).

The stylised effects in the video fit well with the rest of the style. There's nothing explicitly wrong with either that, or more realistic ones; they just have to gel-together nicely and match up.
  18. thefirstfish

thefirstfish New Member

I like the look of the PA effects so far, although the explosions are maybe a bit on the large size for those small robots.

One thing I like about ZK and... I think TA... although I haven't played it for some time... is that the projectiles fired by units are very varied. I've been playing SupCom 2 and it's sometimes pretty hard to work out what projectile comes from which unit, because they're mostly kind of glowing balls of a similar colour (within each faction).

In ZK there are guided missiles (different sizes), unguided and semi-guided rockets (different sizes, different trajectories, some are fired in clusters), plasma balls (several types with different sizes, speeds, and explosions), beam lasers (different colours, some are intermittent), penetrator type lasers (different beam diameters), HLT type lasers, heat rays, gauss rifles, gravity beams, cluster bombs, star wars style lasers, bombs, nuke bombs, nukes, D-guns, grenades, slow beams, napalm bombs, flamethrowers, machine guns, lightning guns, artillery mines, melee weapons, shotguns, EMP weapons, and probably some other stuff I can't think of right now.

Essentially the projectile of every unit is immediately identifiable as having come from that unit. I like that.
  19. thedbp

thedbp Member

Are you saying the explosions and all such where bad in the trailer?

also, I said I would like more detail I just don't think they should make it a high priority.

And in fact I where playing in tournaments, and I played a couple of matches with people from the leaderboards (though I only won one match) and most of them told me to make sure to have the unit overlay to "always on" to make sure unit diversibility is clear.

This is what I want, this is what I love about the supcom and TA but that doesn't mean that the style from the video can't be maintained

why do I have a feeling that you're going to cry from not having the gritty grainy brown polaroid style where every unit looks like the next one?

once again, I love to have massive special effects and I love to have big explosions with pieces flying in all directions, but the units can still have a simple art style.

Awww did my little drawing hurt your feelings big man?
  20. gmorgan

gmorgan Member

I hope if they ramp up the graphics that I can still turn it down. RTS usually plays better with plainer graphics. First this you do with SC2 is turn down all the visual effects because you can more easily see what is going on.

I think PA has an art style that can still look really good even in such a configuration.