Possible Mass Disappointment about Galactic War

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by TheLambaster, September 11, 2012.

?

What do you think?

1. I share your view, there better be some clarification.

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  2. I sense no imminent danger, everything will be fine.

66 vote(s)
    86.8%
  3. Your observation is correct, but still – sit sight.

7 vote(s)
    9.2%
  1. shinseitom

shinseitom Member

Yeah, it'd be really cool if they could add it in.
  2. Consili

Consili Member

Upon the update on the kickstarter I was unsure if Galactic war was real time for the same reason thedbp mentions, the visualisation shown in the video.

It was when I was called out on an idea thread I made viewtopic.php?t=36684 that I checked my sources and read a few interviews to find out what they were aiming for.

In saying that I am happy with GW as a meta game concept - I WOULD like to see more than one solar system or binary star systems in some of the larger maps, but I think that having a galaxy wide real time simulation would be hard. In addition having a territory style meta game adds an awesome dimension to massive online play with the potential for long drawn out wars with many a battle :D
  3. zordon

zordon Member

4. corhen

corhen Member

bad troll is bad, and should hang his head in shame.

love the poll, three options, "your right, your right, and a non specIfIc "wait"
  5. griffin109

griffin109 New Member

Well I for one am extremely dissapointed. I was really hoping to have huge games with like 20 people in them. I was going to pledge, but now I'm not sure if I will. Heck, I'm not even sure if I'll even buy the game when it comes out.
    Thing is, I never even expected galactic wars to be that huge. I only expected maybe ~25 systems with 2 or 3 planets each, which wouldn't really be all that taxing on servers/clients.
    My hype just went from 2 billion to like 5.

Can a someone please confirm huge (14+ player) multiplayer games so I can stop having a sad? Please? Maybe I'm just overreacting cause I've had an overall bad day. Idk.
  6. TheLambaster

TheLambaster Active Member

There will be.

@ corhen:

So it's "you are right", "you are not right" and a very specific "you are right about people thinking GW was going to be in realtime, but I think it is not necessary to do anything about it."
  7. torgamous

torgamous New Member

You can get 40-player games without Galactic War. Just get enough big planets and willing participants. From the PC Gamer interview:
  8. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Pledge damn you, pledge! Yes, Galactic Wars isn't a super-huge Real Time game with billions of solar systems waging war at once, however--

There will be gigantic battles still to come. Even if the largest maps Uber includes are solar-system sized, you can trust the SupCom modding force to come out of the woodwork and add 40-solar system nebula maps.

I know those guys. They hate simplicity.
  9. griffin109

griffin109 New Member

Thanks man, feelin less dissapoint now
  10. Consili

Consili Member

Now that sound AWESOME. That is the kind of thing I'm looking forward to. I like the way that describes dynamically dealing with unit caps in the server.

And that would be amazing to see - either uber adding it in later or the modding community - I'd be all over it :D
  11. drtomb

drtomb Member

Galactic War could also serve the purpose of clan ranked, server generates a galaxy and have clans fight for domination, each battle won adds system ownership to a clan, which is a tiny percentage of the galaxy, more battles won, more galaxy owned. A new galaxy generated after one or two months.

I love this idea and I hope someone at Uber reads it.
  12. mrniceguy916

mrniceguy916 New Member

:shock: I love this. Sadly it'd be hard to implement it for people that go clanless.
  13. matgopack

matgopack New Member

independents! :p

FFA galactic warfare games would be great :)
  14. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

What about a possible Energy Disappointment about the Galactic War?

:cool:
  15. gmorgan

gmorgan Member

I never expected GW to be a full scale real time RTS. That could actually be done but it'd take some incredible engineering (you'd need clusters and essentially distribute the map, working out how you handle node->node interaction would be non-trivial).

What I expected was a pre-built galaxy map where each node is a completely independent map. I was uncertain if a battle would lock the entire map (so only one game going on at once) or whether a particular node would get locked (allowing multiple games on the same map but no interaction between them). There'd be some rules about which nodes you could attack or not based upon what you already hold.

So if you have a clan war you might be able to have 6/7 battles going on across the map at once. That is doable. However it won't be a simulation where you can send troops through a galactic gate to aid your team on a distant world. It'd be two independent battles that would eventually update the status of their particular nodes on that map.
  16. comham

comham Active Member

Yeah, exactly. Anyone who thought it was going to be a MMORTS is a bit of a numpty who knows nothing about technology.
  17. sacrificiallamb

sacrificiallamb Member

I pledge before I read about GW but did think it could be real time; with only real physics on things you're looking at and a rock paper scissors/number game on everything else, expansion restrictions based on supply lines or travel limits, a sparsely populated galaxy.

I have played games like X3 where they seam to be tracking much more data than I expect and then you can sped up the game by 10 time, I could run that on my old PC.

I'm not real disappointed thought.
  18. erastos

erastos Member

Actually clustered servers have been confirmed...
  19. gmorgan

gmorgan Member

X3 explicitly differentiates between in sector and out of sector. Only the sector you are in gets handled properly. If you had an MMO X3 you'd have the same problem. Controlling access to shared state and handling cross overs between sectors. Again it could be done but it is hard.
  20. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

I was confused about this thread's name too :p

I thought I was going to read a bunch of bullshit about Mass Extractors being overpowered.

This is already being implemented with GW :D. In the announce video, the words 'multiplayer' and 'clan wars' were in the same sentance, so I'm assuming we're having multiplayer clan wars (as opposed to singleplayer clan wars).