Fire and movement stance controls

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by ishtralimnar, September 12, 2012.

1. ishtralimnar

ishtralimnar New Member

One thing I don't think has been mentioned (at least, I can't see it anywhere, but that's no guarantee) is the issue of movement and fire stance control for units.

TA provided three levels of stance control for both movement and firing: you could instruct units to hold fire (only attack when specifically instructed to), return fire (only fire when fired upon), or fire at will (poor old Will); and you could set them to hold position (stay in position/stay on patrol), maneuver (follow attackers a predetermined distance, and then return), or roam (follow as far as possible). This system provided a considerable degree of tactical scope, and was something that was widely used by players.

SupComm, on the other hand, lacked this level of control, and famously suffered for it - a quick search through forums will turn up request after request for TA's level of control, or complaints about the completely bone-headed things units would do simply because the game lacked the stance control needed to prevent it. There were several times I just gave up in disgust because I was nearly spending more time babysitting my patrolling units to prevent them charging off into a trap while pursuing a feigned attacker than I was on anything else.

Needless to say, I hope that Planetary Annihilation's unit stance controls are closer to TA's than SupComm's - the latter was so frustrating at times.
  2. dbclick

dbclick New Member

I concur. The per-unit control "AI flags" (if you will) were extremely helpful at times. Here's to hoping PA has something at least as good.

I was also thinking of introducing a flag for resource management AI to prevent you from having to micromanage a lot of different construction units in the same way that these controls prevent you from having to micromanage a lot of combat units.

Check it out here: Construction build rate limit mode.
  3. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

4. PKC

PKC New Member

lol. Not that supcom’s options couldn’t be improved somewhat but if this was a real problem for you, you were bad at supcom.
  5. theavatarofwar

theavatarofwar New Member

People need to stop spouting this kind of nonsense on a forum where its purpose is to identify problems, offer solutions, recommend new features. Don't slap someone because they do what they're supposed to do.

And don't slap people down when you clearly don't know what you're talking about.
  6. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

People? What people? PKC and Zordon on the most aggressive ones around, and it's more due to their personalities then them caring how smart ideas are. The forum has mostely accepting people. A few just happen to be a bit more aggressive in promoting their own views.
  7. PKC

PKC New Member

i know everything about supcom.
  8. zordon

zordon Member

I didn't even post in this thread... And I support this idea 100%.
  9. PKC

PKC New Member

I too have no problems with this thread or its suggestions. Just disagree that the issue(s) were “famously suffering” in supcom. They were minor at best (if you knew how to play).
  10. Bastilean

Bastilean Active Member

I also feel the original TA commands are the best. :ugeek: Also, I daresay Mavor has brought this up in one of his interviews.
  11. GoogleFrog

GoogleFrog Active Member

Does supcomm not have firestate and movestate? This is a must because I almost use everything on hold position.

On the topic of movestates I don't think we need three. Does anyone know the difference between manoeuvrer and roam? How often do you use return fire? A simple toggle would make these controls more usable.